Sherlock: Carpe Diem

Author's Note: So this is a fanfiction based on the show Sherlock on BBC. This is a new obsession of mine and I really love it! Now I have to do a disclaimer. I do not own Sherlock, John, Mrs. Hudson, Moriarty or any other character from the show. They are strictly the property of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and BBC. The character Jamie Kent is based off of myself, and Tessa Daniels and Dynah Parker are based off of my friends who also watch this show. Enjoy the story!

It was just a normal day on Baker street. Nothing was out of the ordinary. The flat of 221B was the same as it had always been,with Sherlock buzzing around working on an experiment of some sort and John sitting in his chair, typing on his blog. Mrs. Hudson was downstairs, occasionally coming up to try and make small talk with John and Sherlock, until Sherlock became irritated and would say something cold to send her away. Everything was normal in the flat of 221B Baker street on that strangely sunny London morning, until the door of the flat swung open to everyone's suprise. John looked up from his laptop and Sherlock peered out from the kitchen where he had been working on his experiment. Standing in the door way was a girl. She couldn't of been 16 years old, the youngest possibly 14, Sherlock deduced. Her hair looked unkempt and was tied up. Her clothes looked like she was trying to be more comfortable than stylish and she had deep bags under her eyes which suggested that she hadn't slept well. Her body seemed rather stiff and that also helped Sherlock to conclude that her sleep had also been rather uncomfortable. She had just gotten off a plane.

"Hey, Uncle John." she said, yawning as she did.

John smiled and walked over to her and hugged her. She laughed and hugged him back and he took was smiling widely as her when they pulled away from each other. Sherlock was slightly confused. John had never mentioned having a neice before and as far as he knew, John's sister, Harry, focused on women. The girl turned around and grabbed her bag from the hallway. The bag was quite large and it suggested that girl would be staying wherever she was going for quite some time.

"Jamie, I thought your plane was going to be delayed, otherwise I would have been at the airport to get you." John said.

"It's fine Uncle John. Turns out that we arrived on time and I had enough money to take a cab. How have you been?"

She had an accent and was obviously not from England or even Britain for that matter. Sherlock was able to tell that she was obviously from Canada. Probably Southern Ontario by the looks of it. Even though she was extremely pale and was obviously of English decent she did have the characteristics of people from Southern Ontario. Probably grew up in a more rural part of Ontario, but close enough to a higly populated city that if she wanted to go she could, by car. Her clothes suggested that she was more into darker clothing and probably listened to punk or rock music. There was probably also some classic old time rock that she listened to that was probably passed onto her by a parental figure. She seemed comfortable around John, so they had probably met before at least 3times, a long time before Sherlock had even known John existed and before John had fought in Afghanistan. The two of them continued to chat and it seemed as though they had forgotten that Sherlock was there. Of course this irritated Sherlock immensely and he coughed loudly in order to get their attention.

"Oh, sorry. Jamie, this is my flat mate-" John started.

"Sherlock Holmes." she smiled. " Pleased to meet you."

"Might I inquire after your full name please?" Sherlock said.

"You may inquire, but that doesn't mean I'll give you an answer."

"I could simply check your bags, if you won't tell me." Sherlock said, not comprehending this girls behaviour.

"Go ahead." she said, smirking.