Hugs and gratefully no kisses

"Hey girl" he suddenly spoke in my ear, his arms wrapped tightly from behind and around my shoulders. I had jolted from suprise and then became ice cliff ridged. Some male was hugging me and I had yet to work out who.

Two brain ticks later I worked out it was Darren as I was painting a background and he would of come to do the same. 

I wondered how to respond, perhaps "Hey boy?"

I settled with, "you are happy today."

He explained it was great to be able to paint that day and set to work. We painted in our quiet space side by side with the occational polite, "please slide that over here". 

Our silent synchronicity contiened for two hours and then we went our separate ways. 

My thoughts had turned to how relaxed I felt at this time of day, after painting for hours and walking out of the school with the low sun on my back. 

SLAM! I was side tackled causing me to stumble and right myself with the person still fiercely attached to me. Nova.

"Hiya Lady!" She huffed at me panting from just barreling off the soccer pitch. 

Once again my peace was drop kicked off by an embrace. I would prefer it was Darren now rather than the bone crushing arms around my neck. 

Next it was Candi to dish out a quick squeezes and squeals hello.

Hugs are a great way to show affection and bring a deep sense of security. I adored hugs-- from my Dad. It was like I was I being engulfed and pulled right into his heart, a place of all healing. 

As strange as other kids embracing me was I started improving my reactions.

I went for a feather light back pat and a prayer for release in my heart.

As weeks and two semesters passed all the girls an I were on hugging terms.  Keeping body contact to a minimum I would side hug. Most of the girls would fit beneath my arm and I could clutch their shoulder and smile down at them. 

I felt miles away from these huggers and their insecurities which would show through to me. They would come for chats and rarely share anything about their lives in conversation. Their questions to me belied their perceived weaknesses and strengths.  Some wanted to know about my Dad. Others complemented my pretty mom and asked about her. Others were more interested in my work or my thoughts on fellow students.

Soon I knew who had home troubles, who was struggling to keep up grades and who had friend woes.