How Do I Tell Him?

Pepper gently hugged Natasha as she sat down, shocked. Darcy was bouncing up and down, excited at the prospect of a baby in the Tower.

"I can't be pregnant," Natasha told Pepper and Darcy quietly. "They sterilized me in the Red Room."

"One way or another," Darcy said a little firmly. "You are pregnant. And the first thing we need to get you a doctor's appointment." She thought for a moment. "I know a really good doctor just a few blocks away and..."

"As necessary as that will be...." Pepper said gently. "The first thing should be telling Bucky."

"No." Natasha said, sitting up from where she'd kinda flopped on the bed. "I want to make absolutely sure before I tell James. That way I know definitely one way or the other and I can... deal with how he handles it."

Pepper raised an eyebrow. "Do you think he'll handle it badly?"

Natasha sighed. "I honestly don't know. We've never talked about kids. Mostly because we didn't think we could have them."

"Did he want kids before the war?" Pepper asked quietly, trying to gain some insight.

Natasha shrugged. "We all wanted things before the war that we don't want now. But kids never really came up."

Darcy shrugged. "He's going to be thrilled. That's just the way Bucky is."

Natasha shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. Either way.... Darcy would you make an appointment for me?"

Darcy nodded. "Yep, no problem."

"Natasha..." Pepper said levelly.

"No, Pep." Natasha cut her off. "I ... I just can't face him until I know for sure."

"The test is pretty definite." Pepper said dryly.

"I know Pep, I just..."

Pepper's eyes widened. "Please tell me you're not thinking what I think you're thinking."

Natasha sighed. "Pepper, I would be a terrible mother. But if it makes you feel better, I would never abort. As unfair as it would be for the child to have me as a mother, it would be even worse to deprive it of the chance to live. I've taken too many lives as it is. I would never take an unborn baby's."

Pepper nodded. "Ok. But I'm going with you to the appointment. If you're not going to tell Bucky, then at least I'll go along to make sure you ask the right questions."
*
"All the tests confirm it Mrs. Barnes. You are definitely pregnant." Doctor Jenkins said showing her the scans.

"How far along is she?" Pepper asked.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Jenkins asked, raising a skeptical eyebrow.

"I'm her sister." Pepper said firmly. "Now, how far along is she?"

"Four, almost five months." Jenkins said, turning to the soon to be mother. "Does the father know?"

"Not yet." Natasha said quietly. "I'm going to tell him tonight."

Jenkins nodded. "Considering your... delicate condition, what with you being an Avenger and previous surgeries, I will be calling in at the Tower everyday around seven."

"That's way after office hours." Pepper pointed out.

"Yes, but this is a very... delicate situation. This way we avoid any kind of publicity. Also, no missions until after the baby is born."

Natasha's head shot up. "What?"

"Mrs. Barnes, I know that missions are your business, but quite frankly, it's too risky, especially in your condition. Miscarriages are not uncommon, and you will probably have an even easier time."

"But..." Natasha trailed off, already planning a way around telling James.

Pepper placed a hand over Natasha's. "Thank you, Doctor Jenkins. We'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes, you will. Expect me around seven."

"We will. And don't worry about FRIDAY, it'll be fine."

He frowned. "Friday? But tomorrow is Wednesday."

"You'll see."
*
Pepper pushed Natasha into the passenger seat and Pepper climbed into the driver's side. "Do not even think about jumping out of this car."

Natasha looked at her in surprise. "How..."

"I know you Natasha. You're scared, and you think that it'd be easier to run and give the baby away after birth. But trust me. That would be the worst idea you ever had. You would live with that guilt for the rest of your life. And if Bucky ever found out..." Pepper shook her head. "Don't run, Natasha. Trust me."

Natasha sighed. "Fine. I won't run right now. But if James is as upset as I think he will be, I'm leaving."

"And if he's as happy as I think he will be, you stay and raise the child. Deal?"

"Deal." Natasha agreed.
*
Bucky walked into the common living area where the Avengers were sprawled on the couches and various pillow piles watching High School Musical.

"I want fabulous that is my simple request!" Loki sang along with Sharpay.

"Dude, is this really good for him to be watching?" Bruce asked worriedly as Loki proceeded sing the entire song from memory.

Thor shrugged. "It'd be better than letting him watch a DC movie. Those would definitely turn him to the dark side."

"Sssshhhh Sharpay is about to fall in the pool!" Clint said excitedly.

"Next time, we watch something a little less..." Tony trailed off.

"Fluff filled." Rhodey finished disgustedly.

"As much as I hate to intrude on this... weird conversation, have any of you seen Natasha recently?" Bucky broke in.

"No." Everyone chorused.

"Huh." Bucky said, scratching his head.

"She probably threw herself off the building to avoid the Disney Channel Movie marathon." Rhodey said disgustedly.

"Hey, don't dis my favorite movie!" Sam protested.

"Really?" Rhodey asked horrified.

"What's wrong with musicals?" Loki asked, glaring at Rhodey.

"It's not the musical, it's the romance!"

"So? My favorite movie is The Princess Bride!" Loki said with a snort.

"Really?!" Clint looked like he'd just been handed the best thing ever.

Bucky quietly backed out of the increasingly dangerous conversation and made his way back to his floor.

"James?" Natasha called, poking her out of the bedroom when she heard her husband step onto the floor.

"Natasha!" Bucky said in relief, walking over to his wife. "I've been looking everywhere for you!"

She gave him a sad smile and gently wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his chest. "Sorry."

Bucky pulled away from her and gazed deeply into her eyes. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"It's just..." she took a deep shaky breath. "I have something to tell you."

"What is it?" He asked, worried.

"James, I'm... we're... I'm pregnant." Natasha said hurriedly.

Bucky stared at her for a moment, shocked.

Natasha winced and bit her lip as she waited for the inevitable.