Nightmares Come True

"Shoot him."

The young red haired girl whimpered. "I don't want to."

The man gripped her by the neck and threw her across the room. "Then you're weak." He snapped, grabbing the gun.

Natasha didn't wait around to find out what happened next. She ran up and out of the basement, running away from the base as quickly as possible. She ran until she found an apartment. She ran up the stairs and knocked several times, biting back tears.

A young blond boy opened the door. "Natasha?" He asked. Natasha burst into tears and Steve Rogers stepped forward and gave her a tight hug. She hugged him back. Sarah Rogers had come to the door as well and gently led the girl inside.

"You'll stay with us tonight." Sarah told her, leaving no room for discussion.

"What about..."

"Don't worry." Sarah told Natasha gently. "I'll let your parents know."
*
Natasha woke up with a start and was breathing heavily. It had been her father who had brought her to the basement in the first place. That was the first time she'd stayed at the Rogers' for a long time, until her father was transferred again.

She slipped out of bed and walked over to the window, looking over nighttime New York. She rested her head on the window for a moment. She was six months pregnant and getting really tired of being pregnant.

"Natasha?" A voice came from the direction of the bed. She turned and saw Bucky sitting up.

"It's fine, James." She said gently. "Go back to sleep."

Instead of going to sleep, he walked over to her and began playing with her hair. "Nightmare?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah." She replied, tracing her fingers over some of the scars on Bucky's chest. "About my dad." She felt Bucky tense under her fingers.

"What kind of thing?" He asked, wrapping one arm around her waist. She smiled a little. Even all these years later, he was still desperately protective of her.

"He was trying to get me to kill someone." She managed to choke out. She hadn't even realized she'd begun crying until Bucky gently wiped tears away from her eyes.

"He'll never be able to hurt you again, Natasha." He said, running a hand through her hair. "I'll always protect you."

"I know." Natasha replied, pulling away and facing the window again. "But for how long?" She turned back. "How long are we going to be safe?" She pressed a hand against her rapidly growing stomach. "Will the baby ever be safe?" She sighed and turned away again so that he wouldn't see the fresh flood of tears. "I just don't know how long I can hold on, James. I... I'm scared."

Bucky gently turned her and kissed her. "Everything will be fine, Tash. You'll have the baby and we'll keep him safe with us." He smiled. It's going to be fine. I promise."

Natasha shook her head. "Don't promise, James. Too much can go wrong."

Bucky thought for a moment. "How about this? I promise that I will always find you, and I will protect you and little baby me until the day I die."

Natasha allowed a small smile to cross her face. "All right, though it's going to be a baby me."

Bucky chuckled and kissed her forehead. "Whatever you say, Tash. Have you thought of any names yet?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm assuming you have?"

Bucky shrugged nonchalantly. "Well... if it's a boy, we could name it Steve."