one

Seven months earlier...

"Mr. Horan, a pleasure to see you again, have a seat," Niall offered his hand for a polite shake to the bald man as he entered the room before finding his way to the small black leather sofa across the way. He gave a courteous nod of thanks to the assistant that handed him a glass of ice water, cool to the touch.

Niall couldn't help but think about how Alan Michaels had to be one of the sleaziest members of the record label's team. You could practically smell the manipulation rolling off his body as if he bathed in it each morning. Even his smile, always small but slightly crooked, seemed to show that he was one step ahead of you before you even knew what for.

But Michaels was the Public Relations agent for Capitol Records, and no matter how sour the taste Michaels's presence left in Niall's mouth, Capitol was the one paying him at the end of the day. You couldn't bite the hand that fed you after all.

Mr. Michaels took a seat across from Niall, raising his glass to his mouth and taking a long drawn out sip before addressing his celebrity client.

"First of all Mr. Horan, congratulations on finishing your second album. We know that it is no easy task to produce quality music so quickly following a world tour."

"Thank you," Niall said with a polite smile. He was quite proud of the accomplishment himself, but when you were a lover of music, the job didn't seem all that difficult.

"Capitol is excited to be releasing your record very soon. However, as I'm sure you know by now, we have some public relations matters to plan prior to its release."

Niall nodded in agreement. Mr. Michaels didn't have to explain. Niall knew the drill, the label gave him a list of events to attend, interviews he needed to make, people he needed to be seen with. Even key words that would be used to market the album. Niall hated this side of the music industry. It all detracted from the music, his art. But he learned years ago that it was part of the job. Without a record label, he wouldn't be where he was today-a successful solo artist, rounding out his world tour and releasing his sophomore album.

"Mr. Horan, your first record was more of a mellow one. We played up the heartbreak. You were the young man who had his heart broken in such a cruel way. You were the man that was in love and then suddenly wasn't. Someone who was in pain. People felt for you, people related to you, and people bought your music."

Everything Mr. Michaels said was what Niall already knew. It was true that Flicker was pretty much an album about heartbreak. His second album, in his opinion, evoked an entirely different feeling. He wished the man in charge of his PR would simply get to the point about what he wanted instead of going into the backstory of his decision. It would make the entire ordeal a little more painless, and make it feel a little less calculated. After all, he wanted people to buy his album because they liked the music, not because they felt sorry for his broken heart.

"If you were to describe your new album in a word Mr. Horan, what would you say?"

Niall pondered the question for a moment. To frame the album under a single adjective was difficult, like trying to describe yourself in one word. "Hopeful," he said with confidence. That word was as good as any.

"Very similar to what we at Capitol had in mind as well." Mr. Michaels took another sip. "You see, your last album was about heartbreak, and you played the whole heartbroken man very well, and it worked well. But what we can't have is people thinking this second album is all about heartbreak again. We need to show the public that you Niall Horan, are no longer a heartbroken man."

"I understand," Niall said with a nod, hoping to probe the agent to continue his spiel so Niall could get onto the green before it got way too hot.

"So Mr. Horan, we at Capitol have decided to portray you as a man in love. And to do that Mr. Horan, you need someone to love. We have already begun interviews, and we will update you as soon as we have hired an individual."

Niall could hardly believe the suggestion coming out of Mr. Michaels mouth. Hiring a girlfriend for promotional reasons? Niall could never agree to this sort of thing.

"Mr. Michaels, I think there's many other ways to promote the album. Hiring a girl to be my girlfriend, it just doesn't sit right with me, maybe we can explore other options? Find something that suits me a little better?" Niall liked to think that he was a rather reasonable artist, and he and Capitol could surely find some kind of compromise that they would both be happy with.

Mr. Michaels let out a deep sigh, leaning forward to look Niall directly in the eyes. "Mr. Horan, I don't know if you are understanding me correctly, this isn't me giving your choices as to which promotional method best suits you. As the producers of your record, we believe this is the method in which we will sell the most records."

Mr. Michaels cleared his throat as he pulled out the manila envelope that was previously buried in his briefcase. He hated having to pull it out, but in situations like this it was often necessary. No one argued with the contents of that manila envelope.

"May I remind you Mr. Horan, of the contract in which you signed with Capitol Records. A contract that very clearly states that in return for Capitol producing your record, you agree to any promotional terms that we deem necessary."

"But.." Niall started to argue.

"This is your signature Mr. Horan?" Mr. Michaels said, holding up the contract, and pointing to the dark swirls of black ink that held Niall's name.

Niall nodded.

"Then you understand Mr. Horan, that if you do not agree to this promotional scenario, Capitol Records will be forced to drop your album production."

Niall looked at the man in front of him, the agent's face twisted into some sort of pleasured smirk of manipulation. Niall knew who truly had the power in this situation, and although Niall wished it was him, it wasn't.

Although the thought of trying to switch labels crossed Niall's mind for a second, Niall knew what often happens to artists who try to switch labels. The music industry was a cruel one, and there were many allegiances you weren't aware of.

Although the very thought of manipulating the public, his fans, and even some of his friends into thinking he had suddenly found love turned his stomach in knots, Niall knew that there really wasn't a choice. He loved his music too much.

"Okay," he nodded. "What do I have to do?"