thirty-four

Kelsey was back on Niall's couch, her body sinking into the plush grey cushion. Being back at Niall's place felt different this time. Bittersweet nostalgia mixed with memories she'd rather stay hidden. 

Niall was in the kitchen cooking dinner, the scent of roasting chicken and sautéed garlic drifting into the living room. He'd went all out for their first official date since getting back together, decorating his dinner room table with a black tablecloth and lighting a single romantic candle in the center of the table. He wanted the night to be perfect. He needed the night to be perfect- because he wasn't sure if their fragile relationship could handle any more obstacles.

"Smells good," Kelsey mused, as Niall emerged from the kitchen with two wine glasses in hand, handing one to Kelsey before taking a seat beside her.

"Hope it tastes as good as it smells," Niall laughed, taking a sip of his wine. He set a hand on Kelsey's knee, his fingers tracing circles on her skin. "Missed having you here," he murmured. 

"Missed being here," Kelsey replied, smiling as Niall planted a kiss on her forehead. They stayed there for a minute, Kelsey's head tucked into the crook of Niall's shoulder. Niall's arm wrapped around Kelsey. Both reveling in the ability to be near each other once again. But the moment is temporary, as the timer goes off in the kitchen signaling the chicken needs to be taken out of the oven, and Niall reluctantly rose from his seat to make his way back to the kitchen. 

The evening still felt a bit like a dream to him. He couldn't believe Kelsey was actually here, back in his house, back in his arms. He also couldn't believe that he was nearly ready to start his own record label and break his contact with the record label he had dreamed of working with for years. 

When dinner was ready, Niall pulled out Kelsey's chair for her at the table before she took a seat. Kelsey filled her plate. Niall poured them each another glass of wine. There's the low hum of music in the background. In the dimming evening light, Niall couldn't help but notice the way Kelsey's face glowed under the candlelight.

Kelsey watched Niall from across the table, his face concentrated on gracefully slicing his chicken. She wondered how she had went without him for all these months. Because this moment, sharing a candlelight dinner with the man she loved was more perfect than she ever could have imagined.

Perfection was short-lived, however, as Niall's phone began to vibrate on the tabletop next to him, bringing them both out of their thoughts. He ignored it at first, tapping the button to silence it without even bothering to see who was calling. Niall looked up at Kelsey and muttered a quiet "Sorry", before bringing his attention back to dinner. 

The vibration stopped momentarily, then began to vibrate again. Niall let out an exasperated sigh, flipping the phone over to see Krystal's name on the screen. He hesitates slightly before picking up the phone and bringing towards his ear.

"Hello?"

"Niall?" Krystal's voice was frantic on the other line, and Niall felt his pulse begin to quicken. "I think something's wrong."

"What do you mean?" Niall stood from his place at the table abruptly, his feet beginning to pace. Kelsey tried to read Niall's face to see just exactly what was going on, the furrow in his brow signally something concerning. 

"I've just started getting some cramps. I think it might be something with the baby," Niall could tell that Krystal was crying now, her voice audibly shaking.