nineteen

"What's going on in that mind of yours?"

"Huh?" Niall replied suddenly, his mind drawn out of its daze. He turned to look at Krystal, her eyebrows furrowed in a concerned gaze as she takes another sip of her red wine.

It was Valentine's Day, and Niall and Krystal found themselves at yet another PR dinner. Appearances like this had a least become more bearable recently, especially as Krystal and Niall had developed a bit of what one might call a friendship. It was bound to happen, though, especially with all the time they spent together on the road.

What was going on in Niall's mind was a million things. A million complicated, complex things. Things that all centered around one specific person. After Kelsey's wine-fueled breakdown about the status of their relationship, Niall was feeling the pressure. He wanted to prove to Kelsey that this was, in fact, real to him. But just how he was going to do that was uncertain. He also knew that having to spend Valentine's day with his other girlfriend surely wasn't helping things.

"I said," Krystal began again setting her hand on Niall's forearm, looking directly at him in a way guaranteed that he would understand this time. "What's on your mind? You're off in your own little world."

"I'm fine. Just thinking."

"About your real valentine?" Krystal asked, crossing her arms in front of her.

"I guess you could say that," Niall shrugged. But Krystal didn't stop her gaze, instead her eyes bored into Niall's, willing him to speak the truth. That's one thing he'd learned about Krystal during his time as her "boyfriend"- she had the uncanny ability to convince anyone to answer her question, until she got the answer she wanted.

"She's freaked out that what we have isn't real," Niall sighs, running his hand through his hair. "And I don't have the slightest idea of how to fix it."

"You really like her don't you?" Krystal asked, the corners of her red-stained lips turning up into a grinning tease.

Niall looked down at his glass of wine, then back up at Krystal. "I do," he took a sip of his wine before adding "And it's fucking terrifying."

Krystal smiled. A small, knowing smile. She took another drink before saying, "So tell me about this real relationship thing."

"Are we really doing this?" Niall groaned, sitting up a little straighter in his seat. "Here?" The restaurant they were in was hardly a place for a heart to heart conversation. It was too stiff, too posh. Every inch of the place, from its tile floors and bleached white tablecloths to the high ceilings and crystal chandeliers, screamed politeness and class.

"Yes, we are," Krystal declared. Because first of all, you aren't great company when you're all in your head," Krystal pointed at Niall. "And second of all, I'd like to think that I'm getting paid to do more than just sit here and look pretty."

"Don't really think they are paying you to give me advice on a secret relationship Krystal," Niall rolled his eyes.

"Maybe not. But who better to figure out your relationship problems than the girl who is in a relationship with you?" she winked at Niall, which only made him want to let out another groan.

Niall shook his head. This girl, she didn't take no for an answer. "I think she just feels like, I don't know, we can't do the things a normal couple would do. Like right now, we can't go out for a nice dinner."

"Why not?"

"You know exactly why not. People recognize me all over the place, we'd be waiting for a disaster to happen."

"But you've been places before haven't you? I mean we've been trying to get papped and sometimes haven't."

Krystal had a point. There had been dozens of times in his life when he'd slipped in and out of places unseen. It just took more planning, and a little diligence but it wasn't impossible. And it didn't have to be a constant thing. Just enough to show Kelsey that he wasn't trying to keeping her in the shadow. Just one, normal date. Easy, right?