Chapter 1

Nesta

I glared at the mountains on the horizon with the ferocity of a lion, making sure not to let any of tears pent up inside of me fall down my hollow cheeks. The only sound was the regular beat of wings behind me. Cassian stared ahead, eyes fixed on our destination, never once breaking the steely silence between us. I made sure to stay tense in his arms, and not relax into the warmth and comfort of the Illyrian warrior.

We stopped once, Cassian placing me on the mossy ground and subsequently announcing he was going to find water, before striding into the forest of tall, green trees, leaving me to my own devices. I sat on the floor, back resting against a tree trunk, and closed my eyes, fed up with the beautiful scenery, that, compared to me, was so pure and innocent. I felt the tears that had been waiting under my skin snake down my face. I let them fall freely but tried to contain my sobs of anger. It was no one but myself I was angry with. Just like everyone else I supposed. I was already longing for a drink, just to take the most painful feelings away. I ignored the longing and squeezed my eyes shut, eventually falling into a fitful sleep full of wings, and pints of amber liquid from nameless faceless males.

When I woke I was high up in the sky, but I made sure to show no alarm when opening my eyes. Cassian glanced down at me, smiling briefly.

"Are we almost there?" I croaked, my voice still coated in sleep.

"We're not far. Half an hour, at most." Cassian replied, not meeting my eyes.

I nodded, then closed my eyes again. The dark is better than the unending trees, and definitely better than Cassian's face, still etched with imaginary disappointment.

It felt like an eternity before we finally arrived at Lord Devlon's camp. We landed next to small ramshackle buildings that were being battered by the cruel wind. Cassian put me down while we waited for someone to notice our arrival. Soon enough Devlon was approaching us, that signature smirk plastered on his face. I made sure not to show any of my disdain for him, and I could tell Cassian was too, for although Devlon is annoying, he is one of our most loyal Illyrians, and to lose his loyalty, however strenuous, would not be good for our court. He, however, did not extend the courtesy to us, and his smirk turned into a frown when he caught sight of us. When he reached us he forced a smile.

"General." He said to Cassian. "What a surprise! We were not expecting you, but I'm sure we will find you some accommodation to fit your status." I growled at his sarcastic tone, and he turned towards me.

"And you brought the witch." I scowled at his comment, although slightly proud to be notable in this camp full of amazingly powerful winged warriors. Maybe that is why I'm not forgotten.

"This is Nesta Acheron, so I'd watch your tone." Snapped Cassian, his patience fraying. "It has been a long journey here, and we are moving on in the morning, so we'd appreciate somewhere to rest until tomorrow."

Devlon's face brightened at the prospect of a Cassian-free camp, and so assigned a male covered in Illyrian armour to take us to the small cabin saved for important guests. When the warrior left us at the door I frowned at him.

"We are moving on in the morning? We have been travelling for a whole day." I complained.

"Lord Devlon keeps his troops just about in line. We have to go and remind the more unruly groups who is in charge." Cassian said patiently while opening the door and following me inside. I instantly threw off my boots and collapsed onto the worn couch by a fireplace. Cassian knelt in front of me to light the fire, and soon the small room was warm to the point of stuffy. Cassian climbed up the stairs towards the bedrooms, one wing scraping along the wall until he reached the top and disappeared from view. I followed soon after, glad to find two doors instead of one. I opened one, and Cassian was inside, who instantly spun around when he heard the door open, on high alert, but when he saw my face he relaxed and sat on the bed.

"Sorry, I'll go in the other one," I grumbled, and closed the door before he could get any words out. I walked across the tiny hallway and into the other room. Almost identical to Cassian's, I pulled off my clothes and then curled up under the sheets, and was asleep before I could think.

I saw my father, smiling at me. Above him, the King of Hybern. I wanted to tell him I was sorry, I didn't want to hate him anymore, I love him, I love my father, but his head turned so quickly, and so far round. His eyes, sparkling with rebellion, dimmed, and he wasn't my father anymore. A body, empty of life. I cried out with pain cleaving through my chest, then the pain intensified as I heard more yells behind me. Cassian. His face wracked with pain, pulling himself towards me. I ran to him, I couldn't lose him too, his body won't be left on the ground with my father's, I could hear myself screaming, crying -

I felt hands shaking me, and I sat up straight, breathing heavily, cries still lingering on my lips. Cassian was in front of me, squeezing my hands and checking to see whether I was hurt.

"I'm alright. I'm fine." I gasped.

"No, you're not." Said Cassian, his eyes still wide with panic. I glanced behind Cassian's wings and saw the door hanging from the frame as if he'd slammed the door down. Cassian saw me looking and said sheepishly that he would fix it in the morning.

I shivered from the cold and felt my heart slow and my eyes droop. I didn't bother to tell Cassian to leave, and instead lay down again and closed my eyes. Through the darkness I heard Cassian sit on the bed, by my feet, tentatively, waiting for me to tell him to go. But I didn't want him to go, so I said nothing. Eventually, I felt him lie beside me in the bed, staying far away on the other side. I shuddered from the cold again, and I could almost feel him work up the courage to come closer. He lifted his wing over us until it was covering us like a warm cocoon. I tensed, and I felt him get ready to leave when I told him too, to snatch away this protection from the cold and my thoughts. I remembered my dream. I don't want to lose Cassian. So I relaxed again and moved towards him.