Chapter 2

Cassian

When I woke Nesta was still asleep. I climbed out of bed and turned to look at her. Beautiful. Even with the too-sharp cheekbones and pale face, she was breathtaking. And when she slept, there was nothing of that anger, and disgust, and - something I'd only just really discovered - something like shame. I winced when I remembered the events of the night before. I didn't bother opening the door. I ran at it, and it buckled on the first try. I saw her in her bed, thrashing at the sheets and I ran to her, desperately trying to wake her. When she did, she wasn't the usual Nesta. She didn't yell at me, or snap a cutting remark. She seemed almost broken. She looked helpless, tears streaked down her face. I couldn't handle it. The most beautiful, strong woman I had ever seen was reduced a sobbing heap.

I decided that as soon as she woke, we would leave for the next camp, where Nesta will train, whether she likes it or not. I will make sure she is never helpless again.

Nesta

When I woke Cassian was in the doorway, trying desperately to put the door back in the right place after the events of last night. I refused to meet his eye as I asked him to leave while I changed.

Cassian smirked and forcibly shoved the door back into position. With him gone I pulled my clothes back on, remembering every detail of last night more vividly with every minute. Way to go, Nesta, I thought to myself. So much for pushing everyone away, especially Cassian. I braided my hair quickly and then pulled the door open, making sure to loosen the already broken hinges, undoing Cassian's rushed work. 

"When are we leaving?" I asked, watching an armoured male walk past outside. He peered into our cabin curiously, then saw me and diverted his gaze quickly. So everyone here thought I was a witch. Fine by me. Fewer people to talk to.

"Now, I guess. Unless there is anything else you want to do?"

"No," I said quickly, and Cassian grinned.

"Ah, Nesta, always so eager to jump into my arms..." I scowled at him, but inside I felt lighter. Hopefully, last night was forgotten.

Cassian

All I could think about was the night before as I flew over the endless mountains, my arms wrapped around Nesta. Was she finally letting me in? Could I finally be a proper part of her life? 

As I saw our final destination approaching, I squared my shoulders and banished any thoughts of Nesta from my mind. This camp and its inhabitants would see the General of the Night Court. I landed with as much grace as I could muster, and set Nesta down. As she brushed herself off, a huge male walked up to me, making no attempt to hide the scowl on his face.

This male was in no doubt a natural-born warrior. He was huge, and his wings were so big and black they seemed to suck up the light from our surroundings. He normally would have been handsome, in a generic kind of way, if his scowl didn't contort his face so much. Although the male was just under a head taller than me, only three purple siphons adorned his armour. When I noticed that I stood up straighter. I was more powerful.

"General," he barked. "Is there a reason for this unscheduled visit?"

"Lord Orkney," I said, inclining my head slightly. "I have heard that you are refusing to train the females of this group. This is a big concern of mine and the High Lord, and I am here to make sure this problem is righted."

"I see," Orkney said, narrowing his eyes. "And how long do you plan on staying?"

"As long as I see fit," I replied, fixing my eyes on his. He broke the eye contact first, and I felt a faint flicker of triumph at that small victory.

"And who is this?" He asked, turning to Nesta. Pride tore through me as Nesta glared at the male, refusing to back down. Orkney's entourage stationed behind him looked at her with curiosity. I opened my mouth to reply, but before I got the chance -

"Nesta Acheron," Nesta said loudly, still staring at the warrior who was two heads taller than her.

"Nice to meet you," Orkney practically hissed. "I'm afraid we have no living quarters prepared for you, but I'm sure you remember that cabin from all those years ago? It hasn't been touched since the last time you visited. No-one wants to sleep in the bed of a bastard, I'm afraid." Orkney said, hitting a spot close to home.

"How dare you," came a hiss from beside me. Orkney spun to Nesta, who was practically baring her teeth at the lord.

"I'm sorry? Is there something you would like to add?" He spat. Nesta opened her mouth, and I realised this would not end well.

I cut in quickly. "We will go and make ourselves at home," I growled, and dragged Nesta away from the group of winged warriors.

The cabin was at the very edge of the camp, with holes in the roof and shattered windows making it appear as though it had been attacked.

"Are they joking?" Nesta said incredulously. I thought we were with the High Lord and Lady of the Night Court, not a couple of homeless beggars."

"That's what they see me as," I sighed, surprised at the tiredness of my voice. "I'll fix it up, don't worry. We're going to be here for a while, so it'll be worth it." Nesta nodded, not bothering to complain any more. She pushed the door open and peered inside.

Dust coated everything, and the middle of the room was dim and dank. One door led to the only bedroom, with a double bed in the centre. I saw Nesta's slightly panicked look and I blurted quickly, "I'll sleep on the couch." She nodded and offered me a quick grateful smile. It only lasted a millisecond, but it felt like I'd just conquered the world. Sleeping on the couch was worth it. 

The other door led to a small bathroom, with a slightly cracked sink and a grubby toilet. Nesta didn't comment.

"I will be starting up female training sessions while we're here," I said, "You should attend too. You will all be at the same level. You should at least learn how to defend yourself because there are some people around here who might not be exactly friendly."

"I know. Will you be taking the classes as the trainer?" She asked, grabbing a broom from the wall. I followed suit and started clearing the broken glass from around the windows.

"No. The classes aren't the only reason I'm here. There are other things I have to attend to," I replied, collecting the shards of glass into a little pile in the corner. Nesta didn't bother asking about my ulterior motives. Hopefully, none of it would affect her. Her plan as far as I could tell was to live out her temporary exile from the City of Stars without killing anyone and without anybody killing her. Hopefully, she has realised that training would definitely help with the latter.

"I will do those sessions," Nesta said, turning to face me.

"Great! We will be sparring together in no time," I grinned, and Nesta rolled her eyes, but I could see a shadow of a smile forming on her lips.