Chapter 4

Nesta

 I hissed as Cassian started to dab at the shallow gashes along my arms. The pain was not too bad, and I smiled at the thought I had probably inflicted as much pain on my attackers as they had on me. I could tell Cassian was trying to be calm and gentle as he wound bandages around my forearms, but I didn't fail to notice the slight tremor in his fingers and the way he'd open his mouth to say something, then snap it shut.  

Once Cassian had finished, I tried to stand up, but fell back down onto the sofa with a low groan as the pain in my back and legs overwhelmed me. Cassian's eyes clouded with worry.

"I'll be fine," I grunted, unlacing my boots and making myself comfortable on the old settee. "I'll just stay here for a while." Cassian frowned.

"Do you... need anything?" He sounded unsure, probably of whether to leave me alone or not. It's a shame he doesn't realize all I want is someone to keep me from my dark thoughts, or the beckoning bottle on the counter, or maybe both. Despite this, I sniff.

"No," I say, plumping up the cushions. Cassian nods and turns towards the door, and before I realize what I'm doing I reach for his empty hand. I don't want to be alone. 

"I need a blanket and some tea. And a hot water bottle, if you can find one." 

----

Cassian

I can never get a moment's peace. One moment with anything and everything on my mind, and suddenly none of it matters. All that matters is Nesta. My heart is still thundering, arms and legs itching to run, find, kill. There you go. I would kill for Nesta. I cock my head to where the invalid is lying, long fingers crusted with dried blood curled around a steaming cup of tea (the third I had made for her). I almost laughed. I would kill for Nesta. I was planning on it, mere seconds ago, before she looked up at me from her nest and gave me the deadliest stare known to man, and made me swear not to go looking for her assailants.

By the time dusk had been and gone, Nesta had relieved me of my duties as her nurse, and lay curled up under hundreds of blankets, eyes flicking through the lines of a thick book, held close to her face. Her face in question now had many small bruises blooming over her cheekbones. However, her posture still had that regal air about her and her injuries did nothing to diminish her beauty. I started suddenly, pulling myself out of my Nesta-induced reverie. 

----

Nesta

Darkness had long since fallen over the mountains and candles illuminated the interior of the cabin dimly, making me squint at the words displayed on the pages in front of me. My injuries by now were reduced to a dull ache, and the endless tea Cass supplied was enough to soothe my headache and my jangled nerves. 

Eventually, I realized how disgusting I must be and sighed. I pushed off my covers and hauled myself out of the chair. Cassian glanced up from where he sat at the table but made no move to help me. I went into the small bedroom and closed the door behind me. I threw off my clothes and found some water to wash with. I scrubbed at my body, wincing at the new bruises forming and the little scrapes that had gone unnoticed before. I found some soft clothes among the fighting leathers and pulled them on. I spared myself a glance in the mirror and scowled at the purple splotches adorning my face. I pulled out my hair from my braid and let it hang below my collar bones. Grimacing at my reflection, I walked back out into the main room.

I blinked in surprise at Cassian's empty seat and walked over to my sofa. I growled at the sight of Cassian among the blankets, flipping through my book. He looked up innocently as I stomped over. 

"Is there a problem?" He grinned, flashing his teeth. I gritted mine. 

"None at all," I said, and sat down beside him, yanking the blankets over myself and snatching the book from his hands. I curled up into a ball and continued reading. I could feel Cassian's heat coming off him in waves as he stared out the window, and I could hear his regular heartbeat echo throughout his body. I wished he couldn't hear mine, speeding up by the minute. I started to turn the page but sighed as I realized that I hadn't been paying attention to the words and turned back to read the page again. 

----

Cassian

Nesta was closer to me than before. I don't know whether she noticed, but I certainly did. She faced away from me, but she nestled into my side, the hair framing my face tickling my arm resting on the back of the settee. She was still, apart from the occasional page turn, and her breathing was shallow and quiet. I could feel her chest rising and falling with each breath.

----

Nesta

We stayed like that for hours, during which I realized Cassian had been reading over my shoulder. I swatted at him with the hardback, and he swatted back, unfortunately hitting one of the swollen bruises below my eye. I hissed and he instantly started up, searching for something to help, but I pushed him back down onto the chair, pulling the covers up over my knees and leaning further into his warmth. 

"You would ruin my comfy position," I murmured when I sensed his curiosity at my actions. A huff of laughter followed before a tentative hand reached up and started playing with my hair. My face reddened, but I stayed still, placing the book on the ground and settling back into his warmth. 

"I hate my hair," I said quietly, and the fingers combing through the strands stilled. 

"Why?" I felt his breath on my pointed ears and realized his head must be lowered to mine. 

"I suppose it's what... what the men in the human world found most attractive about me." 

"Thomas Mandray?" Cassian's voice was quiet and gravelly. Hair slipped out of his hands as I nodded. "I think - I think your hair is beautiful. I think you-you are - " 

I coughed and pulled my hair from his grip before Cassian could finish.

"I'm tired," I muttered. I felt Cassian swallow behind me as he withdrew his hands. 

"Do you want to go to bed?" He asked, sitting up. I shook my head. 

"I'll stay here." I rested my hard on his shoulder and closed my eyes. I felt him lean over to place the blankets over me, his breath caressing my cheek, before settling back beside me, chest rising and falling in time with mine.

-----------------

*Satisfied sigh* (i have a love/hate relationship with angst)

IM BACK BITCHES! Sorry, I'm just so PuMPeD I wrote this all in one sitting and WHOooHOOO I missed my babies...

Anyway, yes, I have uncancelled this story because lots of people have been reading it, and I like attention so :). Anyway, new chapter up soon! xx

p.s. don't hold me to that 'soon'  lol nope