Chapter 5

Nesta

The end of winter was approaching the isolated mountains. Some time had passed since Nesta and Cassian had arrived at the camp. Life had a routine which rarely changed. The Illyrians had gradually got used to their presence, and Nesta was no longer greeted with sneers and snide comments but indifferent glances. She trained for hours throughout the day, with gritted teeth and grim determination, and then would proceed to collapse at home, sometimes curling up with a book, or sometimes taking part in deadly verbal sparring with Cassian.

It was one of these times when Nesta was sitting cross-legged by the fire, with Cassian sprawled across the couch behind. 

"Haven't you read that book before?" He asked, cocking his head and squinting at the cover. 

"There isn't exactly much to read around here," Nesta muttered, marking her page and turning towards her companion. The spring-kissed wind rattled the windowpanes outside and a chill air filled the room, causing Nesta to shiver. 

"Here," said Cassian, and passed a blanket to her. She grimaced and pulled the blanket tight around her body. Cassian continued. "There must be some books in the camp somewhere..." He faced the ceiling and became lost in thought. Outside darkness enveloped their surroundings. Another gust of wind chilled her fingers to the bone. She sighed.

"I'm going to bed. It's warmer in there," She passed the blanket back to Cassian as she got up. She began to walk away, and then started, narrowing her eyes at Cassian's spread-eagled form. "You will be cold." She said, stating the obvious.

"I'll be fine. You said it yourself. I'm an overgrown bat, I can handle it." 

"The bed is warmer." The silent invitation hung there, and Cassian pulled himself up from the couch and looked at her. Nesta's traitorous heart fluttered at the sudden undivided attention. 

"You don't mind?" Cassian's brow was furrowed, and Nesta was proud to see this was one of his moments he is not such an arrogant brat.

"I only sleep on half the bed anyway. Let me just change." And she disappeared into the room.

Cassian

Cassian fought to keep his breathing steady and his thoughts under control. Why was he so excited? Nesta was simply being nice to him. Cassian inhaled sharply and shook his head. He started peeling off his outer layers and leathers, untying his hair and unlacing his boots. When he knocked quietly on the bedroom door he stood in his underlayer with a bare chest and torso, gritting his teeth against the cold night air.

"You can come in," A voice spoke from inside the room, and Cassian walked in to see Nesta grabbing all the blankets and throwing them onto a pile on the bed. "Close the door, otherwise it'll be just as cold in here," She said sharply.

Cassian kicked the door shut and sat on the edge of the bed. Just looking at her made his breath catch. She had gained weight since leaving Velaris, and her cheeks were no longer hollow and the tinge of purple beneath her eyes had vanished. If she had been breathtaking then, Cassian couldn't describe her beauty now. Her hair fell loosely around her shoulders and she wore thermal underlayers and thick wooly socks. 

Nesta looked at him and blinked once, taking in his bare chest and large wings, before returning to her task. Their surroundings were chaotic, with clothes draped over all the furniture and books stacked anywhere there weren't clothes. Nesta tucked her hair behind her ears and huffed.

"Some help would be good," She said indignantly, and Cassian leaped into action, dishing out the blankets. Despite it being warmer than the other room, the icy temperature gnawed at their exposed skin. Nesta's teeth chattered slightly.

"Quick, get under the covers," Said Cassian, fussing like a mother hen. Nesta said as much, and Cassian laughed, before jumping under the covers too. They pulled the multiple blankets around themselves, and settled into the dark, about a foot of shadows and silence separating them. 

Nesta

They had been lying there for a while, but Nesta could tell by his irregular breathing that Cass was awake. She inhaled deeply and sighed.

"It's my birthday in two days," She said, squeezing her eyes shut. She felt the bed shift and Cassian turned towards her. She did the same. "I guess birthdays don't really matter to you. You've probably lost count." Cassian snorted.

"I'm not that old," He whispered. Nesta could feel the warmth of his breath kiss the tip of her nose. She raised her eyebrows at his claim, even though she knew all he could see was black.  She felt him move before he spoke again. "What do you want to do? For your birthday?" He asked. Nesta bit her lip.

"Nothing much. Maybe stay away from all the Illyrians. They will spoil the festive mood. You included," Nesta pulled the cover tighter around herself.

"Fair enough." Nesta could hear the grin in Cassian's voice. She could picture him tucking the stray hairs behind his rounded ears, and then fiddling with his hair all over again. She scooted closer, trying to get close enough to feel his heat.

Cassian

Cassian knew when Nesta's birthday is. He was surprised when she had mentioned it, as he knew it had been forgotten last year amongst the Inner Circle, and Nesta had liked it that way. He had been even more surprised when she had inched towards him, presumably seeking his heat. Cassian was not surprised, as the air was sharp and biting and the many blankets offered little protection. 

"Here," He breathed, and wrapped his arms around her slight body. He felt her stiffen and he began to recoil, heart sinking like a rock, but he felt her hands close around his forearms. 

"You are warm." She said, banishing any emotion from her voice. In the dark Cassian was free to do his arrogant smirk. 

"Indeed I am." He said, and Nesta's hands loosened. Cassian relaxed too and found his chin buried in her long silken hair, and her body pressed up against his.  Their scents mingled, and each other's warmth seeped into their bones. Cassian held back a yelp of surprise as Nesta entangled their legs beneath the covers. 

"My feet are cold." She muttered unashamedly from Cassian's chest, and Cassian grinned, before closing his eyes, eternally grateful for these intimate moments fate had gifted him. 

****

Just some fluff to keep you guys going - it'll probably be a little while until the next update but don't worry, there's more to come! xx

p.s. I know what you guys are thinking - "Woah there is like no plot here what's goin on?!" 

And that is true.

There is no plot.

There might be soon if I get off my bum and stop being lazy. In the meantime, I really appreciate votes, comments, and feedback (maybe even ConCsTruCtiVe CRiTiCIsM) so help me to improve my writing! (and boost my ego :) )