Chapter 6 | Her Wedding

刘  映 月

┊⠀┊⠀┊

┊⠀✧⠀┊

┊⠀⠀⠀ ✦

✦⠀⠀⠀⠀

Liu Ying Yue

"...Starting from the spilt blood of our ancestors and the grievances which still exist between our two nations...The marriage between Lady Sui and Emperor Jin will permanently secure the alliance and the forthcoming of peace..."

Tuning out of the minister's long speech, Ying Yue glanced over at the emperor and the blank look on his face as if he couldn't wait for the end of the ceremony.

Considering the number of wives he has, I'm not surprised if he's thinking about bedding them right now.

She looked around the main hall in boredom, her eyes landing on the smirk on the consort's lips and her sisters' shameless stares at the emperor.

...You can do this, Ying Yue...When this damn wedding is over—

"...And now, for the nuptial bows."

After what felt like forever, Ying Yue and her soon-to-be husband stood up to face each other. His eyes slightly narrowed as he attempted to look past her red veil before returning to his indifferent expression. They each bowed three times--for the heavens, their parents, and each other—and were handed two cups of tea by a palace maid as they sat down.

When the cups were emptied, a line of servants entered the main hall with trays of food for the wedding feast. She sipped her wine in silence as she listened in on the political conversations between the now unified nations, calmly placing down her cup when she heard someone mention her name.

"Ah, Ying Yue, that girl...She's the oldest of my daughters. She will certainly get along with her husband due to their close age gap."

I can hear her irritatingly loud voice as always.

"She's quite a stubborn woman to prolong marriage until now. It's fortunate she's becoming Emperor Jin's wife...But the thing is...Is it really true that she only has half of the Sui royal blood?"

The consort gave the minister a thin smile. "Her mother may have been a palace maid, but that girl is still very...independent and capable as a leader. It was rather difficult for her to lose her mother at a young age..."

Ying Yue internally laughed at her step-mother's fakeness. On the surface, she upheld the image of a loving mother wanting the best for her daughters, which overshadowed her true nature of deceit and manipulation.

"Indeed, she is fortunate to have a mother such as you now. Although, if it is not rude to ask—Why did the new Empress Jin never officially take on the family name?"

"...Ah, that is a rather common question...Of course, the poor girl wants to preserve the memory of her deceased mother through maintaining her surname..."

Hm. I may have been 'Lady Sui' by name, but there's no use in further acknowledging my familial relations with those women...

As Ying Yue was about to continue to drink off her annoyance, a jumpy maid nervously shuffled up to her side.

"Empress Jin," she whispered, "It is time to prepare you for your wedding night."

She nearly choked on the sip of wine she was taking.

Damn it...I'll somehow manage to find a way out...

Ying Yue was rather unwilling to spend the night with her notoriously lusty husband, but she was also relieved that she could exit the main hall. Upon being escorted to the palace's bathing area, a shrill voice pierced the air. Turning her head around the corner, she spotted the backs of a young girl in violet robes with her personal maid.

"What is Zhang Wei thinking by ascending a random woman to empress?! This may be just for the alliance, but who knows how this whore will ruin the nation! He even said I was his favorite wife, but-!"

When can I catch a break with these gossipy women?...

Ying Yue fully removed the veil on her head as she silently walked up to them, slamming her hand on the door next to the shorter, shrill girl's head as she flinched. Blocking her from escaping with an arm, Ying Yue turned her cold gaze to the girl's maid who stood there fearfully.

"Haven't you learned about the improperness of gossiping behind others' backs?..."

The violet-robed girl stayed silent, refusing to answer or turn around to face Ying Yue.

"...Rather than serving to warm his bed, how about you actually make yourself of some use to your dear husband instead of wasting your breath on complaining?"

"...You bitch-!"

As the emperor's wife turned around, Ying Yue threw her veil on the irritating girl's face.

"I do not have time to deal with further immaturity. Now, if you will excuse me."

Without waiting for a response, Ying Yue slid open the door to the bath and brushed past her.

No matter where I go, the consort will also somehow manage to be there in spirit...

········༻ ✦ ༺········

In her white, night robes, Ying Yue was escorted to her room for her dreaded wedding night. As she slowly opened the door, a note fell to the ground.

There will be no need to consummate our marriage, as its only purpose was to secure our alliance.

As the new empress, your only job is to stand by my side and maintain your power by name.

Emperor Jin Zhang Wei.

Ying Yue was slightly shocked at this note, since her new husband was described as someone who took whatever arising opportunities to sleep around--yet at the same time, she was extremely glad.

At that moment, the loud moaning of assumedly one of his wives echoed from a few rooms down.

"...Ugh."

I will certainly be sleeping tonight.

Out of the corner of her eye, she suddenly spotted a minister from Sui walking down the hall and called him over.

"What can I do for you, Empress Jin?"

Her lips formed a small smirk.

"Please tell the Jin royal family members that there is no need for them to send over the betrothal gifts...My mother, Consort Sui, has probably not mentioned this fact, as she wants to avoid seeming rude by not accepting the gifts. She is already grateful for the alliance itself, and does not want to provide any further trouble."

"Your mother is certainly very kind," the minister bowed to her, "I will make sure to deliver this news immediately."

Watching his back retreat, Ying Yue marveled at her newly-gained power as empress.

········༻ ✦ ༺········

...How do romance writers do this?...I know exactly when the leads are going to actually interact and speak to each other, but the anticipation is killing me (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻

-Y.P.