Chapter 26 | Her Improvement

刘  映 月

┊⠀┊⠀┊

┊⠀✧⠀┊

┊⠀⠀⠀ ✦

✦⠀⠀⠀⠀

Liu Ying Yue

"J-Jie Jie..." Diao Chan forced out in a raspy voice as Ying Yue grit her teeth, summoning the shapeshifting hairpin from her sleeve and gripping it tightly. She brought the girl closer to her chest, her hands shaking with a dangerously calm anger.

"...Don't force yourself to say anything." Her posture tensed up as the black-robed assassin drew closer, and she quickly swung the hair ornament to bring forth the sword. Out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted the rapidly moving shadows of her hired assassins as they stood by, waiting for the moment to strike.

"What in the hell--?"

Ming Yu--! Just in time.

The male physician happened to pass by as he stared at the scene with wide eyes, suddenly spotting Diao Chan and immediately rushing over as a wave of momentary relief overcame her. Just as he hurriedly took the injured girl's body in his arms, Zhang Wei's sword sliced through the air against the Tang male's throat.

As the man smirked, a greater horde of Tang assassins appeared and surrounded them. "Take her to safety." Ying Yue glanced at Ming Yu as he nodded, quickly evading the group of enemies.

Noticing an assassin trailing after the two, she rushed forward and placed the blade of her sword at his throat until a thin line of red appeared. "Don't lay another hand on her." She hissed, looking over her shoulder to see her husband's next moves as he momentarily met her gaze before turning back to his opponent.

I can only hope he doesn't choose to do anything too rash...

"...What has that Tang bastard been up to?..." he questioned in a low voice, "...It's certainly not wise to involve himself in my nation's matters--let alone spill any blood on my land."

"That is none of your concern." The assassin he was facing glared icily, turning his dark expression to Ying Yue. "...It would be wise of you to hand over the empress, or else there will be no choice but to shed blood."

Zhang Wei chuckled darkly. "You won't even tell me why, yet you dare to request something so absurd?...The answer is already clear: Never."

At his declaration, the rest of the Tang opponents unsheathed their swords, the palace assassins jumping out into the open and doing the same. The metallic clashing of their weapons echoed in the empty courtyard as the two sides rushed at each other, Ying Yue quickly dodging multiple blows and slashing out with her weapon at their throats as she made her way over to her husband's side.

They stood with their swords poised in front of them defensively, backs touching as they cautiously observed the assassins who circled them like predators.

"Not bad, wife. Are you sure you can hold out?" Zhang Wei questioned, although he already knew the answer.

"Of course." Her eyes glinted with the relentless light of blood thirst. "I was trained by you, after all."

"Ah...How kind of you to say so, dear wife." The corner of his lips turned up in a smirk.

After their quick exchange of words, the two separated again, their bodies nimbly escaping the swords thrust in their direction as they parried occasional blows. Ever since her hellish training with Zhang Wei, Ying Yue had drastically improved her skills compared to before. Although she wasn't the best, she was more capable of putting up a good fight.