Epilogue | His Phoenix

金 张 伟

┊⠀┊⠀┊

┊⠀♔⠀┊

┊⠀⠀⠀ ♚

♚⠀⠀⠀⠀

Jin Zhang Wei

A gentle breeze swept through the branches overhead, sending a wave of peach blossom petals to the ground. Autumn was nearing once again, the transitioning leaves and cool nights signifying its arrival.

Zhang Wei sat at the pavilion edging the lake with Ying Yue, marveling the tranquility of nature among their casual conversation. Their friends sat a distance away as they quietly muttered to themselves, giving the two their privacy.

Suddenly feeling her frail shoulders tremble, he glanced at his wife in concern. He wrapped his right arm around Ying Yue's waist to bring her closer as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"...We've stayed outside for a while now, wife..." he uttered among her hair, "You must be cold. It would be best to head inside--"

"No, it's fine," she grabbed his hand before he could move, her body shuddering in dry coughs, "My coughing is just acting up again."

Zhang Wei grasped her hand even tighter, his eyebrows furrowing in greater concern.

"Are you sure...? Should I get Ming Yu--?" He glanced back towards the group.

"You worry too much, husband." She glanced up at him with a reassuring expression as he clenched his jaw at the glassy look in her tired eyes. "...Let's just stay here. The fresh air is relieving, after all."

Please...Don't do this to me. If you look at me like that--

He fought to regain his composure. "...Of course, wife."

The two relapsed into a comfortable silence again until she broke it with a new topic. "Everyone is living so peacefully now..."

Why does it seem like the more you talk, the further you will get from me...?

"I know," He forced himself to smile, "It's nice to experience this calmness."

Then why...? Why is it that you seem to be the only one suffering...?

Ying Yue stayed silent for a while. "...You're forcing yourself, husband."

His breath hitched, smiling bitterly against his wife's hair at her observant nature. "...What are you talking about, wife--?"

"You always do this, you bastard," she laughed in an endearing way, lying down to rest her head on his lap as she looked up at his face.

He would have done anything to hear her call him a bastard a hundred--and even a thousand--times more.

"Don't do this to yourself, Zhang Wei...You hide your emotions at the worst times. Haven't you realized how much harder it is on you?"

"...You know me too well, wife." He lowered his head with a chuckle.

"Please don't be sad. Because...I have always been glad."

"Glad?..." His voice suddenly became shaky to the brink of tears. "Of what?"

She reached out her right arm, wiping his traitorous tears with a sleeve and a calm smile as she placed a gentle hand on his face. "Because of our efforts and sacrifices, we have brought peace among the people for years to come. Because you are able to rule over and protect the nations as their capable and rightful leader. Because we were able to watch our son grow for sixteen years now."