Some Kind of Death Wish

Dawn sat in a roadhouse style bar. There were wooden walls that surrounded the place with road signs and motorcycle parts hung on the walls. The counter she was at had warped wood and in front of her was a full display of bottled drinks. She had an energy drink and a Jägermeister in front of her. She began feeling buzzed. After a few minutes, she put her head down on the counter. Dawn frequented this bar ever since Maddie was in the asylum. Although Dawn remained sober for many years, she relapsed back to drinking. Then, three men wearing brown dusters, and desert camouflage pants with combat boots, entered the bar. One of them had on a black cowboy hat and seemed to be the one in charge. They began peering at the women and whistling at them. The three men approached the counter where Dawn was sitting. One of them saw the Jägermeister and grabbed it. After he took a shot of bourbon, he poured himself a glass.

"That's her," one of them said, "That's Dawn Crenshaw."

The man in the cowboy hat lightly tapped her face. Dawn rose her head up and saw the man. She recognized the insignia on one of their shirts. It was a white skull with a red bandana over the mouth and a black cowboy hat. The group was known as the Outcasts. They were a large and dangerous group that roamed the Mojave Wasteland. Dawn was annoyed.

"Dawn, is it?" The man asked.

"What's it to you?" She replied.

"We know about you. We know that you have been around Damon."

Dawn took back the bottle of Jägermeister, poured a small amount into her glass, and drank it.

"The secrets out," Dawn sarcastically replied.

"Where the hell is he?"

"Look, buddy, I ain't telling you where he is. What do you want with him anyway?"

"He knows something, and we want-"

"I don't know where he is."

"Bullshit!"

The bar suddenly got quiet. Dawn seemed unfazed. He walked directly behind her and put his face near her neck. She felt his breath on her as he moved his face near her ears and then her to her hair. He ran his hands through it while Dawn sat there and stared straight ahead.

"Pretty old lady," he whispered, "I'll give you one chance to tell me what you know about Damon and where he is. Your life depends on what you say next."

Dawn held her hands up and giggled.

"Okay, okay," she muttered sarcastically.

With a sudden motion, she elbowed him in the groin. One of the Outcasts pulled her hair back and dragged her off the stool. The bartender slammed both hands on the counter.

"Knock it off!" He shouted, "Leave her alone!"

"You stay the hell out of this punk!" The man snapped back.

Dawn grabbed his shirt to pull herself up just enough to deliver a kick to his head and then elbowed him in the stomach. The other Outcast approached her. He threw a punch at her, but she grabbed his arm and struck him in the ribs and then struck him with a backhand strike to the face. He stumbled back. The man in the cowboy hat wrapped his arm around her neck and pinned her on the table. Dawn tried to struggle free, but he was too strong. He let her go and struck her in the face with an elbow, knocking her to the ground. Then, he kicked her in the stomach. Dawn felt the pain and tried to summon the will to get back up and fight, but she felt weak inside. The bartender approached the three men.

"That's enough!" He shouted at them, "Get the hell out!"

The two other Outcasts shoved him down.