Chapter 34

Not edited.

"You said you've been to another doctor before?" Dr. Sewell asked me as we were getting to do an ultrasound.

After visiting a new doctor and outlining all my complaints to him, he had suggested that we do an ultrasound. He couldn't tell what was wrong with me just by my symptoms so he said it was better to run some tests. One of those tests were once again, a pregnancy test which was also negative like the others.

"Yeah." I responded.

"And he or she never suggested an ultrasound?"

"No, but he did suggest running some blood tests." I told him.

"Well that's good. Did you get them done?" Doc asked me.

"Uhm... no."

"Why not?" He asked me.

"I wanted another doctor's opinion. It's a bit complicated."

There was no way I was going to tell him that my doctor was also my husband and that we sort of been having some issues. I just wanted to get this out of the way and hopefully we can find out what is wrong with me. I was instructed to change into one of those hospital gown things then return to the room and lay on the bed.
Doctor Sewell run me through all that he was going to do and informed me that the procedure will be completely painless and the only discomfort I might feel will be the coldness of the gel that he would place on my stomach.
The purpose of the ultrasound was to see if he could find out what what was wrong with me, especially since I've told him about some minor pains I've started feeling in my stomach.

"So how long have you been experiencing this pain?" Dr. Sewell asked as he rubbed the little microphone looking thing- the transducer- over my stomach.

"It's actually quite recent. About a week or so now." I told him.

"And the other symptoms you've complained about? Can you remember exactly how long you've been experiencing them?"

"I think it's approximately two months now." I responded.

"You really should have visited a doctor sooner." Dr. Sewell told me.

"I really should have done that but the feelings didn't stay, they come and go so that is why I haven't visited a doctor then."

"Well at least you're here now so we can try to figure out what is..... Oh..." Dr. Sewell trailed off as he stared intently at the monitor.

"Oh? What is it? Is something wrong doctor?" I asked him.

"I think we have figured out what is causing your issues." He responded. "I know what is wrong with you."

"Really? What is it doctor?"

"You see that on the monitor there?" He said as he pointed on the monitor.

"Yeah."

"That right there, is  the inside of your uterus. And that little bean shape thing, is a fetus. Judging by its size, it is approximately ten weeks old." Doctor Sewell told me. "I think it is safe to say that your symptoms are as a result of you being pregnant."

"Pregnant?" I asked in shock.

"Yes Mrs. Mercier." He responded. "I believe that is why you've been having those complaints. You're over two months pregnant."

"I don't understand. I... I've been on the pill all along. I've been having my period right on the expected times and I've done more than two pregnancy tests and all of them says negative..."

"How about you get clean up and changed and we'll discuss this further?" Dr. Sewell suggested.

I was in shock with what Dr. Sewell told me. I was pregnant? Like how come is this possible with all that have happened. I know that contraceptives are not always 100% safe, but the fact that I was still having my menstrual cycle. I was confused about all of this.