Part 9

OCTOBER 31 1939
I have not written in almost 2 months but you will not believe where I was!! I was at a Nazi prison camp called Auschwitz! I was taken with Mama when she came to pick me up from the farmer, because Agata wasn't home. The farmer called the Nazi's and they came and picked me and Mama up and put us in a cattle car! We drove in the cattle train for 2 days before stopping without any food! I felt I would die of hunger! On the end of the second day a lady opened the door and took out our bathroom pail and put in an empty one. Then she gave us two filled buckets. One had water in it and I heard someone mutter under their breath that turnip soup was in the other. We lined up each taking turns getting turnip soup. The turnip soup was not very tasty at all, the sort of thing I never would have eaten at home, but it was much better than nothing at all. Then we all lined up again and took turns drinking. I was one of the last ones so I didn't get much water, but once again it was better than nothing. The whole time I knew I wanted out of the car but I still was dreading whatever was at the end.
P.S. The turnip soup had sawdust in it!

Later
When we were almost done our journey I realized that there had to be some way out of the train car, but I could think of none so I let it be. After we finally did stop another lady made us get out and stand in a row in front of a soldier. Then he separated us by age and were told to follow another soldier. I told one of the soldiers that I wanted to be in Mama's group, but in a really nasty voice he told me to shut up and he poked me in the back with his rifle. I was very scared then, so I did as I was told and with one last look at my Mama I followed the soldier inside. We were shown to our Barracks and then were shown around and told that we had to work in the kitchen. All we had to do was prepare lunch and breakfast every day. That day we started with making some soup and sawdust bread. This was how we continued on until one day a truck with all the dead bodies in it went and another girl from my barracks offered to come with me and we snuck away together. After the truck left and we entered my town I saw Agata and hopped out of the truck. The girl, (whose name was Abigail) said she would wait and go out later. After that it was really simple, I went with Agata and she let me see Abbey, Arielle and Alexander. I got to stay with Abbey and her farmer. He was really nice and did not like Hitler at all. He said I was welcome to stay as long as I could. That night I told Abbey about what happened. She said she was really glad I escaped but was plenty sad about mama. She must have asked me a million times if I was sure mama was gassed. I wanted to say a lie but I had to tell the truth. I saw mama was gassed.