(Forty Three: A Place to Hide)

Alex Fawley had spent most of her life being afraid.

She spent the rest of it trying to cover up that same fear. The odd moments she snatched with her fingers settled into the familiar grooves of her camera were rare and hard to come by. But there was nothing she wouldn't give up for them. It was the selfishness she allowed herself, to put off Transfiguration so that she could climb a tree bordering the Forbidden Forest and get a picture of the pixies pouring pumpkin juice on Narcissa Malfoy's pristine hair.

There was nothing she couldn't do if she could see the world through her lens for just a little longer.

But tonight, it would take more than a camera screen.

Tonight, she was undergoing full transformation- Enter: Feminine Alex, the nightmare come to life.

"What is this? Where does it go? Why is it see through?"

Lily Evans slapped her friend's hands away from the transparent ribbon that threaded through the semi-luminescent material like a sneaky sneaky snake of death and subtle political takedowns. Alex, not to be put off by the muggleborn's unquestionable superiority in this area, twisted her neck around to see what Lily was doing, fiddling with some buttons or something behind her.

"This is never going to stay up." Alex claimed obstinately, "There aren't any straps."

Lily sighed frustratedly, and lifted the transparent ribbons again, "These are the straps. That is their purpose. That is their one function in life and you are disappointing them."

Alex pulled a face, tugging at the material with a spare hand. She had lowered her dose of the Gryffindor potion, and was now only on enough to keep the images of the burning Fawley House from rushing her conscious mind. But no longer being afraid of parties and awkward social encounters didn't change the fact that she was a naturally introverted person, and none of that social-butterfly stuff was really what she would class as 'fun'.

"Hey," Marlene chipped in from where she had latched herself to Lily's doorway in a silky green dress with a slit up one side, "You know it's just 'cause the Potter's want tonight to be formal. We'd let you escape in Lil's hoodie if it was anything else."

"I know." Alex said in a small voice, "And thanks for, you know, everything. I wouldn't have a clue what to do and I'd have nothing to wear without you guys. Which would, you know, which would be an interesting experience, but somehow not what I think James' parents had in mind."

"Well," Lily took a step back to admire her handiwork, "If it helps, you look damn fine."

"Doesn't help." Alex contributed, "Makes things worse actually."

Marlene detached herself, "Any particular reason why?"

Because now I'm suddenly aware that Sirius Black will be at this party, and I think it's meant to matter how I look.

"It better not be a boy." Lily reprimanded her, "Or a girl. This is a strictly non-romantic night, where James Potter will finally leave me alone for three seconds under the motherly glare and we, ladies, are completely free."

Alex couldn't help a small grin, "No boy talk. I like that rule. Can I have it stamped across my forehead?"

"I would like to do a little footnote on that ruling," Marlene declared, "Because tonight will undoubtedly be a night of dick jokes and innuendos."

Lily scooped up the fizzy lemonade in a tall glass that she had let on her dressing table, "To dick jokes and innuendos!"

"Strictly platonic ones." Marlene contributed.