(Fifty Six: The Forest Again)

Professor Dumbledore's office was somewhere that the girl in front of his desk had never wanted to find herself.

Of course, the individual in question couldn't exactly be said to be the same one who formed that initial philosophy all those years ago. She was colder, tougher, and a hell of a lot more scared.

"Miss Fawley," The Professor said, "I suppose a 'welcome back' is in order."

"Thank you, sir." The girl responded stiffly. There was a sort of distance between her and the world, like everything was happening behind a screen. Which was perhaps why she wasn't as bothered by her current situation as she might otherwise have been.

Dumbledore observed her for a moment, "The young Mr Black has already quite passionately explained what happened earlier today, but there are several gaps-"

"You want to know why I'm still alive." The girl interrupted.

He smiled slightly, "Do forgive me. I seem to be resorting to drivel as a substitute for speech in my more advanced age. Yes, to put it simply."

"I don't know how it happened," The girl said, "But here I am."

"Are you?" Dumbledore asked, "I'm still inclined to wonder which of you survived."

"To be perfectly honest, Professor," she responded, "I don't really care. I'm alive. I didn't really expect to be alive. I'm quite happy with being alive. I can't be bothered to defend my alive-ness to you right now."

Dumbledore continued to watch her over the rim of his half moon spectacles, "What, might I inquire, physically happened from your perspective?"

She tipped her head back, tiredness restricting her capacity for manners, "Bellatrix tried to kill me. I passed out. It was embarrassing. When I woke up, the voice in my head was gone."

"I think," He started cautiously, "From my limited observation, that the curse was confused by the prospect of two entities in one body. A killing curse works by turning off the mind rather than the body. And I think the other person occupying the space metaphorically stepped in front of you."

"Maybe." She sat forwards, "But I have another question. Because you knew, didn't you? About the prophecy, about all of it. And you let it happen."

Professor Dumbledore's response was simple, "I did."

"Why the hell would you do that?" She demanded.

"Because you are not as weak as you think you are. Because I saw that you could stand alone." He said evenly, "And because I believed it was the best thing for the wizarding world."

All she could bring herself to do for a solid thirty seconds was stare at the wizened old man before stating, "Heck of a teacher, aren't you?"

"I admit I am not what most consider to be orthodox." Dumbledore acknowledged.

She got to her feet, "Yeah, well, I won't be coming back to Hogwarts. So goodbye."

"If there is anything I can do to accommodate you to this new life, then please let me know." The headmaster offered.

"You know what? Yeah, there is something. This whole prophecy thing, because I know Maria Fawley said I wouldn't be the last kid." She leaned over the desk for a moment and looked him dead in the eyes, "Do better for the next one."

He seemed to take this in, nodding slowly, "I'll certainly try my best, Miss Fawley."

{===}

"I thought I'd find you here."

Sirius started upwards at the sound of that familiar voice. He twisted slightly to see Alex, hands in the pockets of her jeans, half smile playing around her lips as she strolled towards him. The forest stretched out in front of the little alcove around the side of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.