Chapter 4

| "We all do things we desperately wish we could undo. Those regrets just become part of who we are, along with everything else. To spend time trying to change that, well, it's like chasing clouds."

-Libba Bray |

Draco's POV

I sat at the Slytherin table the morning of the 23. I looked over at the Gryffindor table, she wasn't there. I knew she was trying to avoid me. And that's probably the best for the both of us.

We haven't communicated much, and even when we do, it doesn't stay civil for more than a few sentences before we start yelling at each other.

Just as I thought she wasn't going to show up, arms wrapped around my neck, and I knew it was her. She brought her mouth to my ear.

"You, me, the common room, five minutes." Her voice rang through out my ear. I started considering it. Maybe it would give me a distraction. Her hands snaked across my chest one last time before she left.

An owl appeared in front of me. That's odd, I never get letters. I untied it before the owl flew away.

Your father has a trial the 13th of October at the Ministry. 12:00

-N.M.

That was all she had to say? But it's more than she's said to me in person the last year. It's like I don't exist anymore. Father is her main priority, and he doesn't even care. I was just glad to go back to Hogwarts, and get out of that house. But a trial, that was a different matter. Why were they just now giving him a trial? A part of me hoped that he would get sent to Azkaban, that he deserved it. But another part of me wanted him to stay, he is my father, after all.

I had made my decision.

Hermione's POV

I spent my days in the common room, hoping to avoid. I think he was doing his best to avoid me too. He would be gone by the time I got dressed in the morning, and I would be asleep by the time he got back to the common room.

So it all worked out.

I was done being pathetic. I'm Hermione Granger, the brightest witch of my age.

I got dressed, and raced down to breakfast. I couldn't be upset anymore. Ron was gone and I needed to move on.

I walked into the Great Hall. I walked over to the Gryffindor table, and took a seat next to Harry.

As I sat down, Draco was getting up. I glanced up at him as he walked by, and caught his eyes momentarily. They seemed to be pleading, begging me. But what for?

Harry looked at me, he didn't say anything. I gave him a big smile and he seemed to sense I was back. I think he was glad I was finally back. Ginny came and sat on the other side of me.

I have my friends back, I thought to myself.

"Er-Hermione? Do you, uh, think you could maybe, uh, help me on my Defense Against The Dark Arts essay...?"

I gave my head a small shake, "After classes." Harry smiled at me, "Okay."

"Well, it's time for classes-" I started, but was interupted by Harry. "Hermione, you haven't even eaten yet."

"I'm not hungry anyway, now lets go." I got up and left, not looking to see if they were following me because I knew they would.

We sat in our normal seats in Potions just as Slughorn entered the classroom. I glanced over at Draco's normal seat, he wasn't there. That's odd.