1

It's been a few weeks since I watched Ben die in that convenience store. I still have flashbacks of what happened and I feel an incredible amount of guilt and regret. I could've done something, no, I should've done something. I was just so weak and afraid. But, I had to get over that. I promised Ben that I would do better. That I would be stronger. I have to start standing up and protecting the people I love. And that starts today...

BEEP BEEP BEEEEEP!!

Well... maybe after school.

I leaned up in my bed and shut my alarm clock off. After the incident with Ben, my long-lost aunt reached out to me. She was very kind and friendly, yet I couldn't help but resent her for not reaching out to me sooner. Again, I found it hard to form a new relationship. Not only because of all the loved ones I've lost, but also because she was pretty much a complete stranger.

After spending a few weeks with her, I've learned that her name is May, she works as a nurse, her husband had died a while back, and she never had any children. I also got her to tell me why she didn't reach out to me. Apparently she was so heartbroken over her brother and sister-in-law's deaths that she didn't want to be reminded of them every day by seeing my face. I found it pretty selfish, to be honest. She didn't take my feelings into consideration. She didn't realize that I was going through the same things she was. It just hurt me that, for the longest time, she didn't even want to see my face.

She has apologized profusely and I can tell she is sincere, but it's hard to forgive her for something like this. I think she understands my side too, because she didn't expect me to forgive her right away. I can tell she is going out of her way to try and make it up to me, but I'm not sure that anything she could do would make me forgive her.

I haven't really talked to her much, she's usually the one doing all the talking. I can tell she wants to get to know me, but I'm not sure if I want to open up to her just yet. She has given me space and I appreciate that. I just need time to get over what happened, although that hasn't seemed to work out in the past. I mean, I'm still crying over my parents and it's been over 10 years. I guess time really doesn't heal all wounds.

"Y/N? I made some breakfast if you'd like." My aunt May called from the kitchen. I sighed and reluctantly rolled out of bed and walked into the bathroom. Today was going to suck, there was no doubt about that. I was going to a new school with a new set of judgmental kids. Just what I needed to help me get over my feelings.

After I took a shower, I threw on some skinny jeans and a long sleeve shirt along with sneakers and a hoodie. Walking into the kitchen, I get a scent of pancakes and my mouth starts to water. I didn't realize how hungry I was until now. I couldn't get much sleep last night and my head was throbbing from all the crying I did. Pathetic, right?

"There's pancakes and eggs on the stove." May informed me from her spot at the kitchen table. "Oh and there's syrup in the cabinet if you want some." I nodded my head in response, even though she probably didn't see me.

I ate my food quickly and grabbed my backpack and skateboard. I said a soft 'bye' to my aunt and headed out the door. I started coasting down the busy street on my skateboard, trying to mentally prepare myself for whatever might come next, because I'm sure it can't be anything good. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and stuff, but I usually don't fit in very well in high school. I'm always seen as an outcast. And, considering I'm new and my foster father just died, I can tell that won't change.

I stopped on the sidewalk when I reached the school. I examined the building that I would be forced to stay in for the next couple of months. The building read 'National City High School'. It was a pretty normal building, nothing special, like every other school.