Prologue: Born to be a King

1400 YT

He hated this.

He hated them.

He hated him.

He hated everything about the Valar, about the Maiar, about the Quendi. But at the moment, he focused his hatred on the fourteen figures before him in this ring of doom. He hated Máhanaxar with a passion even more so than other places his kind had created. For it meant only pain.

"Melkor."

He raised his head at his brother Manwë in fake submission, refusing to make eye contact with the one who would judge him. Deep in his heart, the black tendencies that were rooted in his very being flared. Nevertheless, Melkor refused to let the other know. He wished to stretch his arms and legs, stretch this disgusting form modeled after the bastard children of the creator. For the chains which held him fast kept him from movement. They held him, kneeling in submission like a child.

He sighed sadly. "My dearest brother, what is there to say? How might I plead for myself but to ask forgiveness that should not be granted."

"So you do plead forgiveness?" Manwë frowned.

But Tulkas snorted in disbelief. "I will bow to Fëanáro the day I see Melkor apologise for his crimes!"

"Quiet, Tulkas," Varda snapped back. The usually composed queen felt herself nervous and also angered by the Vala before her. "Let Manwë speak."

The last of the Valar shut his mouth. When Varda spoke, all listened. And when she told them to listen to another, they did that too.

"Melkor, my brother," Manwë began, "it gladdens my heart to see you asking for forgiveness. I had hoped your time in Mandos would show you the error of your ways."

"My brother, my king." Melkor bowed his head deeply. When he went to bow further, his chains caught. He set a glare to his right and left at the Maiar who gripped the chains. They slackened ever so slightly so he could turn back to his brother. "Manwë, lord of all Arda, lord of the air, commander of eagles, greatest of the Ainur, first of the thought of Eru, I wish only to be allowed back into the light of the Trees, to see how the children of our creator have progressed, and to aid them even! I erred, lords. I allowed my pride to turn me against my own kind, against my own fate!"

Manwë looked at him more softly. He saw tears on his brother's pale cheeks. Manwë arose, though his wife went to protest, and approached the brother he loved. "Melkor. Look at me."

Melkor looked up into his brother's face. It took all his will, all his discipline, to mask the hatred that dwelt in his heart. But he did. And it worked.

"Do you swear by Eru Allfather to renounce your evil deeds, to become a force for good in Arda?" Manwë watched him carefully, but he didn't miss the unsure expressions on the faces of several of his fellow Valar that sat before him. "Melkor, do you swear?"

Melkor nodded. "I do. For it is through his power alone that my own power comes. Without him I am naught! For the Flame Imperishable remains untouched by me, by us, and thus I rely still on the grace of our creator!"

"Indeed!" Manwë smiled at last. "Then I, Manwë, King of Arda, hereby grant you release from bondage. You shall remain in Valinor to help with the Eldar here, to become a lord in your own right, and to mend the wrongs you committed."

Melkor bowed deeply at his waist as he knelt with the chains. "I do not deserve this, brother. I shall not waste this opportunity."

"You are released."

Manwë raised his hand and Aulë copied his movement. The chains fell from his arms and body. They clattered to the ground, no longer restricting him tightly. Melkor stretched his arms out first, allowing his form to revert to a less uncouth version. Then he stood. His bare body now sported a black set of robes with golden accents, and the dried blood left his fingernails. He smiled.

"I am in your debt, brother." He bowed. "Someday I shall repay you for all you have done to me."

Manwë grasped his arm in a hand shake. "I do not desire it. All I wish for is your help of your own free will."

"It is as I told you, brother, that is my goal as well," Melkor replied, following beside his brother as they exited Máhanaxar. He flashed a small smile at Tulkas as they passed before turning back to his brother. "Tell me, lord, what has transpired during my time in penance?"

Manwë shrugged as they entered the light of Laurelin at midday. "The Eldar have grown great here in Valinor! Soon shall be a large festival in the north for Hísimë. Perhaps you should attend and meet them."

"That is a good plan, brother." Melkor paused as he looked up at Laurelin. Hatred again burned in his heart, but he kept it hidden. He turned back to Manwë. "Will you be attending?"

"Yes," Manwë nodded back. "My Queen and I are going."

Melkor smiled at him. "Then I certainly shall go." He bowed to Manwë once more. "My king, I must excuse myself. For I have not had the privilege of changing form in three ages."

Manwë nodded. "Go, Melkor. But stay within Valinor. I do not want to retract my forgiveness."

Melkor bristled for a moment before calming. "Of course, brother."

At that, Melkor disappeared, and Manwë went down into Valmar. Varda, Tulkas, and Oromë alone remained in Máhanaxar. They stood quietly in the Ring of Doom, watching as Manwë and Melkor conversed and then separated. Varda hoped her husband knew what it was he did.

She hoped that Melkor had truly repented.

F

ËANORIANS:

Fëanáro - none - Fëanor

Nelyafinwë - Nelyo - Maedhros

Kánafinwë - Káno - Maglor

Tyelkormo - Tyelko - Celegorm

Morifinwë - Moryo - Caranthir

Curufinwë - Curvo - Curufin

---- Telperinquar - Tyelpe - Celebrimbor

Telufinwë  - Telvo - Ambarussa - Amras

Pityafinwë - Pityo - Ambarussa - Amrod

FINGOLFINIANS:

Nolofinwë - Nolo - Fingolfin

Findekáno - Finno - Fingon

--- Artaráno - Teldano - Teldo - Gil-Galad  

Turukáno - Turvo - Turgon

--- Itarillë - Itaril - Idril

Irissë - Iri - Aredhel

--- Maeglin

Arakáno - Aro - Argon

FINARFINIANS:

Arafinwë - none - Finarfin

Findaráto - Findo - Finrod Felagund

Angaráto - Ango - Angrod

--- Artaresto - Arto - Orodreth

--------- Finduilas - Fin 

Aikanáro - Aiko - Aegnor

Artanis - Nis - Galadriel

 --- Celebrían

THEN THERE'S EVE:

Eve's Epessë(Q): Elmendë meaning Wonder

Eve's Epessë (S): Enweril meaning Awe/Wonder