Chapter 1: The Good Life

CHAPTER ONE

The soft mingling of Telperion and Laurelin at dusk painted hues of gold and silver across the sky of Valinor. Tirion's marble steps softly glowed. Few people wandered in the Great Square, and only a single woman sat beneath the bows of Galathilion, the great white tree. She sat on a bench before the statues of Tata and Tatië, engrossed fully in a book of blue leather. Soft tinkling of bells and a cool breeze ruffled her auburn hair which flowed down to her midsection. The weather approached chilly, but was not uncomfortable. Winter approached but had not yet arrived.

"What are you doing, Eve?" A voice to her left drew the woman's attention away from the book.

Eve stared at the newcomer. It was another woman, golden-silver haired, though the locks went only down below her shoulders in slight waves. Sharp grey eyes sat perfectly in the woman's well shaped face. She echoed both beauty and ferocity.

"I am reading, Artanis..." Eve rolled her eyes. "What does it usually mean when one is staring at a book?"

Artanis rolled her eyes. "Iríssë and I are heading over to the tavern, if you wish to join us. She wants to meet up with Tyelko."

Eve sighed and closed her book. "If you insist." She watched as the woman walked away towards the far corner of the square.

"Finno is there," Artanis shouted back without even looking at her.

Eve rolled her eyes with a smile and hurried after the elf. She lifted her blue dress slightly and hurried along before finally catching up to the woman. "Frankly I am surprised you want to go see any of the sons of Fëanáro."

"Hey," Artanis objected, rolling her eyes dramatically. "I do not hate them. I would merely prefer to spend my time with more interesting people."

Eve laughed. "More interesting than my brothers? You'd be hard pressed to find anyone."

"Irí!" called Artanis to a dark haired elf maiden with a white dress, thankful for the distraction. She waved, hoping the other woman would see them.

She did. "Eve, you came!"

"Of course I did," she scoffed, walking between them as they approached the tavern door. "You two would be lost without me."

Their laughter mingled with the laughs coming from inside the door as they went in. The place was exceptionally decorated. Pillars of white and grey marble held up ceilings of white and dark wood beams. Booths of matching wood lined the rooms with tables in the middle The floors, crafted of the same stone as the city streets, reflected the light of the many candles and massive fireplace. Trelices holding bottles of wine lined the walls.

"Any idea where they are?" Eve asked the two women.

But a shout caused all three to look to their left, to a smaller adjoining room.

"Irí!" Tyelko waved to her from a booth, raising a glass of red wine. "Over here."

Iríssë and Artanis immediately headed his way, the former smiling happily while the latter merely rolled her eyes at her cousins. Eve went to follow when a voice caught her off guard behind her.

"Hello Elmendë!" It came as a whisper and made her shiver.

But she grinned after the initial shock and spun to face the newcomer. "Finno."

"Carry this, would you," he asked, laughing and handing her two bottles of rose.

She pouted. "I don't like being handed things."

A Different Kind of Purgatory [ Silmarillion ] 2On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara