Chapter 8: Beyond the Mysterious Beyond

1430

Years of the Trees

Eve could hear the laughter outside her window before she even realized Finno and Artanis were at her and Amarië's door. She continued to scamper about, pulling a few dresses into two saddle bags and her paints and favorite brushes. Findo had assured her that there would be canvas provided. Alqualondë! She couldn't wait to get back there.

The last time Eve had witnessed the mingling of Laurelin and Telperion had been two years prior. It wasn't as if she hadn't wanted to get back, but other trips kept taking priority. A trip to the Trees, a trip to the Mansions of Aulë, a trip to Formenos, a trip to Nienna's Halls, a trip to Estë's Pools. All of them had left her without time to spare for Alqualondë.

As she listened to the laughter below she heard a new voice join in as Amarië greeted them. Eve closed her window, pulled on her olive riding outfit. She ran down the stairs. Along the way, a dozen of her favorite paintings reminded her how eager she was to depict Alqualondë again.

"I'll go get her," she heard Amarië say.

Eve laughed, bouncing down the hall and out the door. "No need! I'm here!"

With a chuckle and quick roll of her eyes Artanis gestured behind them. "Come, then. It is time we bring you around more civilized people."

"What, you prefer your Falmari kin to us," Finno gasped in mock surprise. "Really now, Artanis."

"They certainly have more manners than you at the least," replied Artanis quickly. Then she winked at Eve. "Come. Get your horse. We should be setting off before Laurelin waxes any further."

"Aiko and Findo, are they still going to be at Alqualondë with us," Eve asked them. They nodded, and she walked around the back of the house to the yard where her and Amarië's horses were stabled. There she found her grey dappled mare. "Fintalë!"

The horse raised her head and meandered over to the small group. Amarië's pale cream horse, Mánië, followed suit. The riders went to them. Eve heaved herself onto Fintalë before following Mánië out of the yard. Both Artanis and Finno had mounted up already. They were ready to leave.

Through Tirion to the Noldorin docks they went, reaching the docks as Laurelin's golden rays finally overtook Telperion. The light glinted powerfully off the water's surface in the Sea of Alatairë, blinding them momentarily as they looked out over the waves.

Eve, for that brief moment, felt her heart soar. She couldn't see the other lands, but recently talk of the old lands had been circling amongst the Noldor. Wonder, awe. That is all she felt looking across the vast expanse of Alatairë. What lay beyond the waves? What other mountains and lakes and rivers could she paint if she were there? What other peoples-

"Eve!" Artanis's voice ripped her from her ruminations. "Come on. We want to reach Alqualondë by nightfall!"

She huffed goodnaturedly. Urging Fintalë forward with a gentle command, Eve rejoined the three others down the road. When she reached them, Artanis turned to her again.

"What were you watching?"

Eve chuckled. Then she grew serious. "Have you ever wondered what lies beyond the Sea of Alatairë? What mysteries and wonders?" She laughed again. "You probably think I'm crazy."

"No." Artanis shook her head, staring off into the ocean as well. "My parents don't let me partake in matters of the court," she added, "because Findo, Aiko, and Ango all have their duties and there are none left to me. But I would love to rule a wide land somewhere, someday."