First Prologue: Meet The Team

I wake up with a start. It's Cheetah, my piebald, 14hh horse; I had been worried ever since he was put in a livery. Simon, who owned the equestrian centre, had said many people had complained and that he wasn't acting like the others, no surprise there then. He was a young stallion he didn't know how to behave and having already had a tough life made it even worse.

My step-dad is building a stable block for Cheetah and Prince -my mother's oldest rescue horse, he is a chestnut 16.1hh horse- so we could look after them and every morning my mum and I could ride up to the ranch my mum owned.

My mum, Tina Little, did not approve of parties, sleepovers or fun nights full of games at my house so I would go to my best friends' and boyfriend's house for them. At the moment I am staying at Tom's house. It isn't just the two of us; Rose and Kitty are here too. All of us have horses. Brad; a 15hh chestnut horse, belongs to Rose, then Tilly; a 14.1hh black pony, belongs to Kitty, and, finally, Blaze; a 14.3hh strawberry roan horse, belongs to Tom. Everyday we'd go down to the moorland and canter across the fields. Blaze was a showjumping horse while Tilly a beautiful dressager. Brad and Cheetah had an amazing talent for cross. Each rider suited the horse (or pony) brilliantly. Rose and I loved cross; Kitty had the prettiness and skills to be a dressage rider, so did Tilly, and Tom and his mare made the dream showjumping team. Each of us had trained, ridden and improved our mount since rescued and brought to my mum and NYC's Riding Rescue Ranch.

When Tom and I met we, at first, despised each other but in the end we learnt to forgive and forget. Rose showed Kitty round the new school Kitty joined when we were in primary. Rose and I have been friends since kindergarten. Although we have been friends for 11 years we must have had a million fallouts. Rose was mostly optimistic. When we fell out she would say "best friends fall out but only the best of friends make friends again."

When they were younger it was easy. One or the other would come to do our handshake and kazam we'd be friends again. Now it was harder, we fell out a lot less, but when we did it could take months until we could hug and smile at each other, meaningfully. In the end we could make each other smile sooooo hard

I'll make all of this easier for you:

ME---------------------- owns Cheetah

ROSE-------------------owns Brad (named after her favourite singer Brad Simpson from the vamps)

KITTY-------------------owns Tilly (named after her mum who died when she was 3)

TOM--------------------owns Blaze (named after the bay marking down her near side)

MUM--------------------owns Prince (named by my mum because there is a scar round his ears from barbed wire my mum saved him from that looks like a, sort of, crown)