Chapter 26: Queen's Little Lamb

Claudia

I was seated in the living room with Charlene, basically catching up on everything I'd missed out on. We were very comfortable together, each holding a glass of red wine, and being very contempt with each others' presence.

"And you decided to bring her all the way here even during all the stress that she is facing?" Charlene asked me, almost sounding confused.

The fact that we were both mothers gave us both something to relate to, and it also gave me an insight on what type of mother my sister was. For a blind woman, she didn't play any games.

"It's not like I had a choice. Hera may be on a wheelchair, but that doesn't make her weak. That girl insisted on coming with. She left me with no choice." I defended myself.

"Really?" Charlene asked me mockingly.

"You have no idea." I sighed. "But I'm very thankful that I let her come with. Her and Blade were there for me through it all, they influenced me into coming here even when I was already set on going back."

"What's that supposed to mean? You were close to travelling all this way, using such time and effort, only to turn back without even checking up on us. Without making sure that we were even alive. What's wrong with you?" She scolded me, and I laughed.

"Motherhood has definitely toughened you up, Charlene Bryan."

"It's Charlene McLaren now."

"Oh my, I'm so sorry for that, Mrs. McLaren. I apologise from the bottom of my pitiful heart."

She giggled like a little girl, which made me laugh. Then we both bursted into sudden laughter, like we used to back when we were faultless, sweet children.

"Anyway... when will I be seeing the rest of your kids, since you've seen all of mine." Charlene asked me happily.

I looked at her and sipped my wine slowly with a grin on my face. I wanted to tease her just a little.

"Stop stalling and tell me when. I want to know if all your children honestly sound just as beautiful as Hera. That girl is angelic!"

"I will accept the compliment on her behalf. And though my children are perfect in my eyes, Hera has to be my angel. I actually call her my little lamb."

Charlene choked on her wine and I laughed at her miserable state as she realised that her chest was getting colder. She clumsily spilled the wine on herself.

"You call her what?!"

"You heard." I raised my brow and she chuckled.

"Cynthia's gonna end you for that. You know that that name is an original. If she finds out..."

"... she'll what? Give me one of her 'lock-n-pulls'? I also have a few tricks up my sleeves, hidden deep deep down."

"I really don't like the sound of those words. I've realised that you seem different. Claudia... you've changed."

I felt a knot in my stomach tighten as she said those words. I knew it, I just knew that she thought that I wasn't as innocent as before. I had changed, but not for the better, and I didn't want her to think that I was a villain. I was anything but.