FOUR.

iv. BRAD'S CONFESSION!

( bea, i was in that chapel! )

bea walked through the door of her uncle's apartment and she dropped her backpack down by the door.

bradley kiddo sat on the couch and looked over towards the fifteen year old girl.
"bea..." he started.

"i know, uncle brad! i need to stop staying out so late and i need to give up my job as a vigilante to be a good student or whatever!" bea groaned.

"no, you don't know, bea! your mom did not want this life for you! i promised to your mother that i would take care of you with everything that i had!" bradley scolded.

"you've told me thousands of times!" bea challenged his tone.
"bea, do you not understand everything that i went through to get you and make sure that you were safe?!" brad yelled.

"brad, the hospital called you and you came for me. you didn't go through anything!" bea yelled back. bradley rested his hands upon his hips and let a chuckle fall from his lips.

"sit down, bea. we need to talk." bradley ordered. bea groaned loudly and stomped over to his couch. the silver haired girl sat down across from her uncle.

brad's blue eyes pierced through bea's soul as he began to tell his story.
"bea, i was in that chapel. the day—the day that the deadly vipers assassination squad killed your mother and everyone in there." bradley revealed.

bea's eyes widened.
"what?!" she gasped, suddenly intrigued.

"your mother had asked me to be there for her, and i came. i-i was in the back because i had to pee and before y'know, i could start, i heard gun shots. it was horrible, kiddo. i peeped through the crack of the door like a coward. i saw bill shoot the bullet through you-your mother's head. i saw the faces of the assholes that did that to your mother. he put her into a coma, bea. they had to get you out, and i went with the ambulance. they took you out of your mother's comatose body, bea. the nurses took me to that little window of the nursery and there you were, your mom's shining star." bradley smiled.

"my mom didn't even get a chance to hold me?" bea asked, tearing up.
"no, i'm sorry bea." he frowned. bea looked at him.
"continue your story, please." the fifteen year old insisted.

"well, i saw you and the nurse, she turned to me and asked if i wanted you or if i wanted them to place you into the foster system. i mean, i was twenty years old with a girlfriend and i had no idea how to take care of a newborn, but i knew that i had to do it for beatrix. so, i became your legal guardian, and the nurses asked me what i wanted to name you. and that's where beatrix killian kiddo came from." bradley completed

"a couple of questions. where did you get killian from? and what happened to your girlfriend?" bea asked.

"killian is my middle name—bradley killian kiddo. do you not listen to anything that i tell you? anyways, my girlfriend? we were dating for a couple of years but she thought that it was a deal breaker that i became the guardian of a newborn at twenty years old." brad answered.

"well, she sucks because i turned out amazingly." bea smirked, nudging her uncle.

"that's nice that you think so, kiddo. moral of the story, don't stay out so late. now, i have to go so that i can sleep because i have work in the morning. and you should go to bed because you have school in the morning." bradley stated, using his strict voice.

brad stood up and began to walk out of the living room.
"wait, uncle brad! i have another question." bea looked back as she still sat on the couch.

"yeah, what's up?" bradley responded.
"did you ever find out who my father was?" beatrix asked.

her whole life, bea never knew who her father was. if he was alive, if he knew that she existed. bradley paused before turning to face his niece.

"nope, i never knew." bradley kiddo lied straight through his teeth.