SEVEN.

vii. A PHONE CALL!

( they had mercy on you, kid

( they had mercy on you, kid. )

"aunt may, this is bea. bea, this is my aunt may." peter introduced. peter's aunt may looked at bea, and then smiled at peter.

"are you two....?" may questioned as her voice trailed off. bea and peter's faces twisted up in disgust.

"what? no!" peter scoffed. he knew that the only girl that he liked was liz allen, and bea just was not interested in romantic relationships at all.

"okay, sure! peter, just make sure that you keep your door open." may insisted, and peter and his project partner went to his room.

peter allowed bea to walk into the room first, closing the door behind him.

"so, did you want to base it off of your life or mine?" peter asked, grabbing his notebook. bea shrugged, sitting on his bed.

"my story is kind of...different." bea trailed off.

the two were instructed to write a short story loosely based off of one of their lives.

"i highly doubt it, bea. you make your story out to be this mega tragic story. just tell me." peter sighed, looking at the girl. bea raised an eyebrow, taken back by his words.

"okay. well, my mother was this secret spy in a squad and she got pregnant with me. she knew that she didn't want me in an environment like that, so she tried to opt out. they found her and killed her. is that what you wanted to hear?" bea scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

peter's warm eyes softened and began to widen as he realized what a mistake he had made.

"bea, i-...i'm sorry, okay? i didn't know." peter stammered, apologizing. bea's face hardened as she realized that her mother died because of her. as she heard her phone vibrate, she rolled her eyes and scoffed to try and suppress the tears that were fighting their way out.

bea pulled her phone out, seeing that she was receiving a call from an unknown number.

"who is it?" peter asked, trying to shift the conversation. bea looked up at peter in annoyance before shaking her head.

"unknown caller, i don't know." bea responded as the vibrations stopped.

"so um, do you just want to make up a story? the instructions said loosely based, but they didn't say how lo—bea, your phone is ringing again." the vibration of the girl's phone caught peter's attention.

bea groaned and answered the phone.

"hello?" the teenager snarked, waiting to hear who it was that decided to continuously call her.

"wow. i thought it was a lie." a male voice commented through the phone. bea's eyebrows stitched together in confusion.

"hello? who is this?" she asked.

"they told me that you sounded like your mother, but i didn't believe them. not one bit." the man stated. bea was growing impatient with the person.

"whoever this is, i'm hanging up now." she sighed. peter meekly watched bea as she conversed on the phone.

"i would've thought that you'd know my name, considering that you took out my whole squad." the man said, causing bea's eyes to widen. her breath hitched in her throat as she realized that she was talking to him.

bill.

"i-" bea began to stammer, at a loss of words.

"cat got your tongue? can you believe it? a teenager took out my best ones. a teenager. how old are you, kiddo?" bill asked, expecting an answer.

"f-fifteen." bea choked out. peter was growing concerned. he noticed that bea's whole demeanor changed. she seemed off.

"a fifteen year old. they had mercy on you, kid. i don't think i will. i could take you out right now. i could do it in front of your little boyfriend..." bill menaced. bea gasped softly, standing up. she walked over to the window, looking around.

"but i won't. i'll wait until you least expect it. maybe i'll take from you what you took from me. your uncle, then your boyfriend. is that what you want?" bill questioned.

bea shook her head nervously, then realized that he couldn't see her. or maybe he could.

"no. don't you dare touch them." bea hissed, turning back to look at peter. he was already staring at her with intense confusion.

"then call off your little private investigation about me. i'll let you be, and you can leave me alone. got it, kiddo?" bill responded.

"ye....yes." bea nodded. then, the sound of the dial tone rang through her ears, causing bea to let out a sigh of relief as she dropped her phone and allowed herself to drop to the floor in defeat.