5 | Take A Step Back

Leah's POV

I wake up when I hear the phone ringing from the other side of the bed. I sit up quickly, shuffling around wildly trying to find it.

I frantically slide my finger over the screen and I hear something that makes my heart beat fast. The little opening statement from the jail before someone calls you. I accept the call and push my hand through my hair while sitting in the center of the bed on my knees.

"Jennifer..." I mutter and my voice cracks from the lack of sleep and crying. "Hey, Le." "I- I am so sorry for all of this." I say, fighting tears. "Are you crying?" "No, I just- I didn't get much sleep." "Don't deprive yourself of sleep, Leah. There is nothing you can do right now,  just let Dani handle it. She is smart and she can fix this. All you and I can do is wait." "Jennifer, I miss you. I need you." "Just hold on, it'll be over soon I hope. Have you eaten? Do you have money? Where are you sleeping?" "I left my parent's house last night after my dad and I got into it. I slept at your apartment, and Dani is coming by tonight for dinner." I explain, just now realizing I haven't eaten since before this drama began unfolding.

"So, you haven't eaten? Do you have money, Leah?" "Jennifer, I'm fine." "Shut up. Go in my room and find my wallet. My debit card is in there somewhere, and there is some cash too. Go get some food now." Jennifer demands. I smile a little, loving how she cares about me. "Okay, I'll get it." "Good. I'll call tomorrow, but for now I need to go. Dani is coming by after court last I heard, so I should be seeing her soon." "Okay. I love you, Jennifer."

I lay the phone down and look at myself in the mirror. My eyes are puffy and bloodshot. I check the time and see that it is nearly one in the afternoon, I guess staying up all night didn't do me much good.

I get out of bed and find some cash in Jennifer's wallet. I don't feel like eating, but it is probably necessary.

After eating a very late breakfast I find myself right back in bed, overthinking everything. I can see myself in the large mirror on the wall, cuts and bruises scattered down my face. The bruises have turned into that ugly, pale green color and that is the only thing I see when I look ay myself. I never imagined my own dad hitting me just a few months ago, but everything changed when I got with Jennifer. Every single aspect of my life was altered, and I am not so sure all of it was for the best.

-

"Leah, its Dani!" I hear at 6:00 sharp. I walk into the kitchen where she is unloading some groceries and force a fake smile. "Hey." "You doing okay? You don't look so hot..." "I'm alright. How was Jennifer? Did she look okay?" I ask. "You know... she is the only person I know who can still manage to look good even in jail." Danielle teases, winking at me. I know she is just trying to make me smile, but I do not want to.

"What should I do?" I ask her, referring to helping with dinner. "Nothing, baby. Just go relax, I'll cook." "Jennifer does that too." I smile a bit and fold my arms over my chest. "Does what?" "Calls everyone baby. It's cute." I say softly. Danielle smiles a bit and sighs, "we get it from our mom I guess. I could tell you quite a few stories about Jennifer from when she was younger, but she'd probably kill me for it." She giggles. I smile and sit on the countertop, "what she doesn't know won't hurt her. Spill it." I grin. Danielle grins too and grabs herself a wine glass and one of Jennifer's bottles. She notices me eyeing the glass and sighs, "let me guess, Jennifer lets you drink too, huh?" She asks. I nod my head and she hands me a glass and I sip on it slowly while Danielle starts telling me numerous stories about young Jennifer.

About an hour later we're sitting at the table together finishing our meal and things take a more serious turn.

"Do you need to talk about anything? I hate to be that person, but from what I've gathered I'm the only person." She says and tops off my wine. "No, I'm fine." "Leah, I owe you an apology for what I said. I didn't mean that you were a 'child'. I just- you know how things are... in the heat of the moment you say things you don't intend to say. Between you and I, I have never liked any of the girls Jennifer has introduced to me. I can see something different in you than I did in others." "Something good I hope?" I ask, forcing a laugh. "I'd say so. I won't lie, when I first found out about you and how old you are I had a 'what the fuck' moment, especially because of the way we met, but after talking with you and seeing how you care about Jennifer I kinda get it. I don't necessarily 'approve' of the relationship, but what I think doesn't matter, Jennifer has made that very clear from the start." She giggles. I smile a little and sigh, "I miss her." "I am sure she misses you too. Hopefully tomorrow we can get something going and get her home by the end of the week."

If I was alone right now I would be going crazy. Danielle is good with her words, very comforting in the things she says. I had my doubts about her in the beginning, and I was almost sure she'd be trying to drive Jennifer and I apart, but she isn't. I am grateful for that.

-

(Next morning)

I wake up and I feel a lot better than I did. I actually managed to get about six hours of sleep, which is a big change compared to the night before. This big bed still felt way too empty though. It sucks.

I get the day started with a shower and a very light breakfast, and now I am going to meet with Danielle at her office. She says she has some things worked out and that she wants to go over a couple of things with me. I don't know what exactly she is talking about, but I guess I will find out sooner rather than later.

I walk into the building and a young girl takes me back to Danielle's office. Danielle smiles at me and motions for me to close the door and sit down. I do as she says and she sighs, "so I need to talk to you about this whole Jennifer situation...." she says, serious tone. I furrow my eyebrows and cross my legs, "okay... what is it?" "I know that you're ready for her to come home and for this all to be over, we all are. And I know that the situation with your dad is not a good one, so I've been keeping that in mind too while I was discussing this with Jennifer..." Danielle says. The more she speaks the more nervous I get.

"What are you getting at? Don't beat around the bush." "I talked things over with Jennifer and we think it's best that once she is out, you two take a few steps back..." a few steps back? What?

"What? Why?" "Leah, you're not eighteen yet." "I literally have like less than ten days until I turn eighteen!" I gripe. "I understand that." "Why does it matter anyway? You said you can make it all go away. It isn't like there is going to be some investigation into Jennifer and I's relationship once this is over! My dad isn't going to risk getting himself in trouble just to make my life hell..." "that's true but-" Danielle stutters and it hits me.

"Unless Jennifer put you up to this..." I say quietly. Danielle looks at me in silence and licks her lips. "Leah..." "no, I get it. You don't have to say it. I'll go." I say, leaving the office with tears welling in my eyes. The moment I step outside tears begin falling and I start running in any direction that isn't here. I think I just got dumped. My life is crashing down around me.