11 | Happy Birthday?

Leah's Birthday (days later)

Leah's POV

If you'd have asked me a couple of weeks ago how I imagined spending my eighteenth birthday, I would have probably described something like breakfast in bed with Jennifer, morning sex, a nice day by the pool, afternoon sex, a fancy dinner and dessert followed by... you guessed it, more sex. Too bad none of that is a reality.

I open my eyes and watch the fan blades spin around in silence. I still haven't spoken to Jennifer, which also means she is not in bed with me.

"Happy fucking birthday." I mutter to myself. I get up and head into the bathroom to take a shower and get ready for the day. I refuse to sit here all day sulking and crying, so I am going to go out by myself if I have to.

Twenty minutes later I walk down the hall and into the open living room and I am very surprised. I am staring at what has to be at least thirty small, white and pastel pink  balloons scattered around the room, and two giant golden number balloons that say "18". I smile a little and I hear Jennifer's voice come from the kitchen. She steps around the corner and smiles softly, "happy birthday, baby." "Thank you." I say, somewhat dryly. I can't just drop being mad at her because she got me some balloons. That isn't how it works.

"Here." Jennifer says, pointing to a sparkly golden bag on the couch. I sit down and open the gift, not sure what to expect. I am pleasantly surprised with two new pair of shoes, several shirts and a very pretty dress. "I love these." I say, studying the shoes. "I figured you would. I'll have breakfast ready in about five minutes." Jennifer says. I watch her turn her back and walk back into the kitchen. My heart breaks all over again every time I look at her.

I sit at the table and I am served by Jennifer, she literally waits on me for the entire meal. Neither of us have said much though. It is a little strange.

"Where are you headed?" Jennifer asks me. "Not sure." "I can drive you... or we can go together." She says. I sigh and lay my fork down rather forcefully on the glass plate. "Jennifer, stop! Thank you for all of this! I appreciate it, but none of this makes us okay. We are still in a really shitty place and I don't know how the hell we are going to get out of it, or if we even can." "Leah, come on..." "No!" I hiss. "I do not want to do this today. I didn't even feel like bringing it up, but here it is. So can we please just sit here like the adults we are and talk through this? I mean, dammit man! I love you, Leah. I want to be with you but we have to give and take a little."

"Easy for you to say that. So I am just supposed to what...? Forget how rude and disgusting you were towards me? How uncomfortable and terrible you made me feel?" I snap. She gets quiet and I listen to her take some deep breaths. She lays her fork down and pushes her hands over her face, "Leah, I am sorry. I did not mean to-" I cut my eyes at her and she stops herself. She did mean too.

"What I did was not okay, and I would never do that to you, or anyone in a normal state of mind. I am not saying that me getting arrested is an excuse, because there is no excuse for what I did. I feel fucking horrible about it! Yes, I was malicious and insensitive and just doing it to be a smart ass bitch. I would give anything to change it, Leah. I should have never spoken to you or touched you like that." Jennifer says. I just stare at her face and I read her. She is being sincere. I know she is, but forgiving her is still hard.

"Jennifer, you hurt me..." I say, now starting to get teary. "I know I did, Leah. I am so fucking sorry." She says, reaching for my hand. I quickly pull away and she sighs and takes her hand back. "Le..." she whispers. I look up at her and she shakes her head with those soft, brown eyes. "Do not be afraid of me." "I can't get that fucking image out of my head. The look in your eyes, the tone in your voice... ugh." I say, shaking my head and closing my eyes. I can't even think about it. It makes me sick.

"I need to go." I say and get up quickly and without warning. I need to get away from her. She has fucked me up emotionally with that shit she pulled. I can't deal with it.

-

When I ran out this morning I decided to go to Amy's and see if I'd catch her at home, luckily I did. So I have been with her for several hours and have heard all of two words from Jennifer.

"Be safe."

I have explained the situation to Amy and caught her up on all of the juicy details for the most part. I didn't completely divulge on the whole sex thing from the other night because that isn't anyone's business but mine and Jen's... I just told her about the whole arrest thing and my dad being his usual dickhead, abusive self.

Amy was pretty surprised to say the least when she found out about my dad. I have been close with Amy, but never close enough to tell her about my abusive father. She was supportive though, most people are.

Now it is 2:45pm and Amy has places to be, so I guess it is time for me to head back home. Thankfully, Amy offers to drive me. She drops me off in front of the building and gives me a hug, "good luck, babe. I know things are rough with you two right now, but stay positive. Don't give up on each other! I am always just a call away if you need anything!" She reminds me. I smile and nod, "thank you. I appreciate it." "Anytime, now go! Kiss and make up... and happy eighteenth birthday! You're finally in a legal relationship." She teases me. I roll my eyes and step out of the car, "yeah... if I have a relationship left." I sass. She shakes her head and I walk inside and head upstairs.

As I step onto the elevator, Jennifer calls me.

I slide my finger over and answer, "I am coming up now..." I sigh, sure she is asking where I am. "You are? Shit. Okay." She says and hangs up. I furrow my brows and the doors open and I am met with Jennifer standing there looking at me with a strange look on her face. Something is off.

"What are you doing?" I ask and she grabs my arm. I pull away and she shakes her head, "Leah, hang on." "What?!" "Just... stop for a second." She says. She touches my arm again and I don't pull away this time. "What is it?" I ask, much calmer. "I- I don't know how to explain this without making you flip out. So, just listen and try not to freak. Your mom showed up at my door about and hour ago looking for you... she's pretty banged up and-" before Jennifer can finish I am sprinting down the hall and into our apartment.

I run inside and see my mom on the couch, black eyes, busted lip, bloody cheek.

"Ha-happy birthday honey."