6 | Big Changes

Leah's POV

It's now 7:58pm and I am still wandering around aimlessly. I don't know where to go, what to think, who to talk to or trust... I just lost the only thing I had left.

Jennifer had her sister break up with me. She couldn't even say it to my face once she's out? I- it hurts. It hurts like hell. I've been crying for hours and I am sure everyone who has passed by me thinks I'm crazy. My face is bruised and cut, my lip is busted, eyes swollen from crying and tears streaming down my naked face.

As much as I don't want to, I have to go back to Jennifer's and get my things. With any luck at all, Danielle won't be there looking for me. She should be home with her own perfect little family, not worrying about me.

I walk up to Jennifer's apartment and push the door open. When I walk in I see Danielle pacing back and forth  and she releases a giant sigh when she sees me. "Leah! Oh my god- I was worried sick!" She says and puts her hand over her chest, being very dramatic. "Well, I'm fine. I'm just going to get my stuff and go find a friend to stay with." "Leah! Quit! Stay here! Jennifer isn't kicking you out." "Do you not get it? I am fucking head over heels in love with your sister and I can't just stay here like this.... I have been through losing her one time already and it nearly killed me. I can't do it again, especially living with her and-" I'm stopped when she grabs my hands, "Leah, please. Just take a moment. We need to talk about this and think it through logically. Okay?" Danielle says.

Logically? Talk about what? I have nothing left to say.

"Danielle! I can't!" "You can and you will. You love Jennifer and I know she loves you. You have to understand that all of this is a lot for her. She is going through more hell than either of us are right now, Leah. It's partially your fault, too... so you do not have the right to sit here and make Jennifer out to me this horrible bitch who is just leaving you! She never even said she wanted to split up from you! She just expressed to me that she needs some space... a break... when she gets back here. Any normal person would, Leah! Come on now... I thought you were smart and mature enough to realize that!" Danielle says. I breathe heavily and she stands there, gripping both my arms.

"How can she love me after this? After all of this shit how do you keep loving someone?" I ask, my voice starting to crack from the tears. "Hell if I know, but she does. Leah if she didn't care about you, I'd tell you. Jennifer has never been one to show lots of emotion and wear her heart on her sleeve, but I can see it plain as day with you. She wants nothing but the best for you, truthfully.... but she still needs to take care of herself too. It's a balance. She is trying, you need to focus on that. She is trying to love you and forgive you through all of this shit and all you can seem to think about is how much it hurts you..." she continues. I won't lie and say I don't see her point, I do.

Danielle isn't wrong. I have been focused on myself. On how this is hurting me. I haven't taken it into consideration how Jennifer is feeling right now. The feelings of anger and bitterness she has towards me... it never occurred to me because I was so heartbroken.

"Do you think she'll be okay? Is she going to be able to forgive me?" "Like I said, she is trying. She wants you here and safe. So please, stay. I can't go give her the bad news that you ran out and are living god knows where..." She says. I sigh and take a moment for myself. "Okay, I'll stay." I nod and wipe my face a bit. "Good. Now, you're a total mess... why don't you get showered and eat something?" "Okay." I say, forcing a smile.

Being all caring and nurturing must run in the family.

-

I wake up slowly. I don't move my body, just my eyelids. Every day I wake up here, in this empty bed, feels like a am reliving a nightmare over and over again. When does it end? I continue to ask myself this multiple times each day, and with each day that passes with no change... my hope goes with it.

"Leah!" I hear my name. I sit up quickly, startled because I didn't know Danielle was even coming by this morning. She barges into the bedroom and she is breathing heavy. "I am so sorry if I woke you, but I have some really great news! I had a 'friend' present a certain something to your father yesterday. I didn't mention it to you because I didn't want you to worry or get your hopes up, but it looks like he is taking a step back! He went and basically withdrew everything on his part, said it was a mistake." Danielle explains. It is too early in the morning for me to be taking all of this in.

"What? He- he is pulling back?" "He is, baby. We aren't all the way out of the woods yet, we still have the state to deal with... but your dad is no longer going to be pressing the issue. It is a small win for us, for Jennifer." She says, smiling wide. I grin a bit to myself and push my hand over my hair, "I- I don't know what to say. Thank you? Oh my god, maybe now I can just get him out of my life forever. But, what about Jen? What comes next for her?" I ask. "Well, first we should probably notify her that your dad is no longer part of the problem. I figured you may want to do the honors?" Danielle asks.

I stare at the phone in her hand and my heart pounds, then it just stops. It sinks to my stomach and I am reminded of the 'break' she requested.

"No, you should do it. I need to go wash my face and stuff." I say and quickly run from her, closing myself in the bathroom. I can't talk to Jennifer right now. I feel stupid and hurt and like I would be more of a burden to her than anything.

By the time I come back to the bedroom, Danielle is gone. I sigh and lay on the bed, staring up at the three-bladed fan that is spinning slowly on the ceiling. This is a lot, it is very overwhelming. And the fact that neither my mom or dad have tried to make contact with me is even crazier to me. My mom, I can understand... kind of. She is too afraid of my dad to stand up and attempt to see me, but my dad would usually be here beating down the door, screaming threats at me.

Big changes are happening all around me, and it looks like I am really on my own now.

-

8:30pm comes around and I am settling down for the day. My head is still spinning, heart aching, and nerves jittering. As I step out of the bathroom wearing nothing but my towel, I hear Danielle enter the apartment. I walk down the hall a bit and force a smile, "I just showered. Give me a moment to get dressed and I'll come-" I freeze where I stand and my mouth hangs open when I see Jennifer walk in the door, steps behind her sister. "I found someone for you..."