20 | Dramatic & Emotional

Leah's POV

Coming home early was the best/worst idea ever. Part of me is relieved to know what's going on, and to know she isn't cheating on me... but part of me is just upset.

After we talked and argued for a few minutes, Jennifer went into the bedroom to do some things on her laptop while I stayed on the couch doing my own thing.

This isn't exactly how I pictured today going.

After several minutes, I get up and wander into our bedroom. "Are you busy?" I ask her. She shakes her head no, not looking up from her screen. "Well... I have the day off and I would like to spend it with you. Can we please do something?" I ask. She looks up and sighs, pushing her laptop closed. I walk over and sit down near her feet, waiting for an answer.

"Any special requests?" Jennifer asks me, picking her foot up and laying it in my lap. I put my hand on her leg and shake my head no, "anything with you would be fine." I say and she smiles softly and reaches her arm out to me. I crawl up to her and lay beside her, staring at her and examining her face. "I'm sorry, Leah. For everything.... I don't think about it." She says and I nod my head and look at her lips. "We'll be okay, right?" I ask her, hoping the answer is yes. She nods and kisses my lips slowly and carefully. I kiss her back and then lay my head against her shoulder.

"I guess now would be a good time to tell you that we are attending a wedding this weekend. It slipped my mind, but Audriana reminded me of it." Jennifer tells me, her hand moving up and down my back. "What? When? I don't have wedding attire, Jen!" I say and look at her. She giggle and bites her lip, "I know, I'm sorry. I can take you shopping today if you want. Just a simple dress." "Okay, well then come on!" I say, getting out of bed.

-

Once Jennifer and I got home from dress shopping, she left again. She had a few errands to run, so she left me to cook dinner for the two of us.

I change into a pair of athletic shorts and a sports bra. I put my hair up into a messy bun and turn on some music.

I go to our kitchen and get started on dinner. About forty minutes into my playing-chef, I hear Jennifer's keys turning in the door. She comes in and announces herself, "helloooo!" She yells. "Here, baby." I call out. She comes around the corner and smiles, "smells good, and you didn't burn down the apartment. Good for you, babe." She teases. I grin at Jennifer and she makes her way over to me, "what are you making anyway?" "Spaghetti." I tell her and glance over my shoulder at her.

Jennifer nods and pecks my cheek quickly before going into the other room. I finish up our dinner and call out to her when it is ready.

"You're my favorite." Jennifer grins as she sits down in the chair beside me, eyeing the bowl of pasta. "Mhm." I tease. As we eat, I make normal conversation. "Who is getting married anyway?" I ask. "A friend from high school. We don't talk much anymore, but we used to be close. I promise you'll enjoy it! My old friends are great." "I'm sure it'll be fun." I say with a soft smile. I am actually looking forward to going out with Jennifer and letting her show me off. I think it will be good for us.

"After the wedding and reception do you want to drive home?" "Uh, I mean yeah. Is there another option?" I ask her. "I was just asking! We can come home." Jennifer says, taking her eyes away from me. She has the "I'm up to something" vibe going tonight.

-

WEDDING DAY

"Fuck." I mutter, frustrated because nothing is going right today. I woke up late, spilled my coffee, Jennifer and I got into a tiny argument, and I just broke the strap on the back of my heel.

"Leah! Come on, baby. We are going to be late." Jennifer rushes me from the other room. "Stop yelling! I am trying." I hiss. I hear the sound of her heels tapping on the hardwood floor as she makes her way back into our bedroom. She stops in the doorway, hand on her hip.

"Issues?" She asks me. "The strap broke. I don't have another pair of shoes to match this." I pout. She gives a small eye-roll and goes into our closet, bringing me a pair of her shoes instead. "Put these on and come on. I am leaving in three minutes." She gripes. I roll my eyes and slide my feet into the heels and walk briskly out of our room and apartment. I find Jennifer waiting at the end of the hall and I bite my cheek, "I'm sorry." I say quietly. She giggles a little and steps into the elevator.

"You take forever..." She says. I sigh and look down, ready for today to be over. It is not a good day at all. Nothing has gone right when I need it to most. After what happened last week... I need for Jennifer and I to be on the best terms possible. Little stupid bickering like this is not helping our case.

Once we are in Jennifer's car she puts the address into her GPS and drives. I stay quiet and hum along with the music for the better part of the ride.

"Okay, what gives? You're being too quiet." Jennifer says, turning the music off entirely. "I- sorry. I just don't know what to say." "What is bothering you?" "I don't want to say anything and make it worse. Please, just leave it alone and let's get through this wedding without any disruptions." I tell her, looking out the window at the passing cars.

"Make it worse? I didn't realize there was a bad situation?" Jennifer says, being a little bit of a smart ass. "Jennifer- stop. I- fuck. Just drive." I say, getting so frustrated and annoyed that my eyes tear up. "What the hell, Leah?" She laughs, turning into the drive of the venue. "Please, stop talking. My mascara is going to run." I say and she sighs. She finds a parking space in silence and when she stops the car she locks the doors and shifts in her seat.

"I need you to look at me." She says calmly. I face her and hold myself together for the sake of my make up. "What?" I ask her. "Tell me what is wrong." "Jennifer- everything. Everything is wrong. Today has been awful from the second I woke up, you and I have been bickering all day long, and I can't seem to make it okay. All I want is to be okay with you, but it won't work. Nothing is-" I stop talking when my voice cracks.

Jennifer reaches over the console and grabs my hand, "hey." She whispers. She touches her hand to my chin and makes me look at her, "we are fine, mama. One little stupid argument this morning does not determine anything about the rest of today. I was just messing with you earlier about being on time... I am not mad at you or anything even close to that." Jennifer tells me. I just look at her, now feeling like a dramatic, emotional asshole for acting the way I did. "As for the rest of your day... the coffee, the shoes, all of that- it's fine. Don't let little stuff like that ruin your day, baby. We are going to spend time together and it is going to be fun. Just smile." She says, carefully pulling her thumb underneath my eye to wipe away the mascara.

"I'm sorry for being dramatic. I'm all emotional today. I just want the rest of the day to be good." I tell her and lean over, wrapping my arms around her. She rubs my back and giggles, "probably starting your period soon or something. I love you, Leah. Every emotional, overdramatic piece of you." She reminds me. Jennifer carefully kisses my lips and we head into the venue to meet up with everyone else.