I Promise. (g.d.) 💍

in which he boldly declares his love for her

"Hello?"

"Hey, princess."

"Hi, baby!" She exclaimed in excitement and he could hear her happiness in her voice. "What's up?"

"Nothin'. What's up with you?" He asked with a smile. He always had that stupidly adorable grin on his face.

"Homework." She groaned. "I have an AP Chemistry exam next Thursday."

"Oh?" His smile faltered a bit. "So then, I assume you wouldn't want to get away with me tonight?"

"Why wouldn't I want to go out? Of course, I'd want to!"

"I don't know.... you seem pretty busy, babygirl."

"Come on, bubs. I'm dyin' here." She whined. "I wanna go with you!"

He chuckled, "Fine, fine.  If you insist— but don't get mad at me if you fail."

*
A knock sounded at the front door. Speeding past her parents,  she said— "I got the door, I got the door!" She opened the door and immidiately greeted her boyfriend with a hug and kiss on the cheek. "Baby!"

"Hey, sweetheart." He hugged her waist. "Ready to go?"

"Mhm." She pointed behind her toward her parents, pulling him into her house. "Just let me say bye and grab my purse." She speedily made her way to her parents seated on their couch and kissed their cheeks as well. "Grayson's at the door, he wants to take me out for a few."

"Be back by curfew." her father grunted.

"Love you!" She snatched her purse  and house keys from the kitchen counter. She grabbed Grayson's hand to leave the house and closed the front door with a slam!

He opened the passenger door of his shiny black Porsche and escorted his princess inside. Then, he jogged around to his side and got in, igniting the engine and speeding away.

"Where are we going?" Her angelic voice asked as they cruised down the Los Angeles street. "Ooh! Are you takin' me to that new café on Main?"

"Nah, maybe next time." He shook his head and took her hand as mumbled "aw man" escaped her lips. "I have a special place just for us."

The park where they met was a sacred place for the two of them. He always took her there before and after he went on trips with his brother, just to make sure she knew how much he loved her.

She, however, took him there when she had something to tell him. For instance, when her favorite uncle passed away, she told him that there and he held her while she cried for an hour. Or, when her parents first decided they were moving, she told him that there, too.

They both thanked God every day that her dad didn't get that job in Cinncinati.

He parked the car in the lot and didn't hesitate for a second to go around to her side and get her door, and then open the trunk to get their picnic basket.

"Ooh, a picnic — how special." She grinned at the precious smile he adorned on his face when she wrapped around his arm.

They set the blanket at their spot by the man-made lake, then sat down and started to unpack the basket's contents. "So," he started, chewing a strawberry. "the reason I brought you here is because I need to tell you something."

"Oh?" She popped a grape in her mouth. "Is everything okay?"

He cleared his throat. "Yeah.." he hesitated. ".. well, kinda."

"Kinda?" She sat on her knees from her previously layed position and looked down at him. "What's going on?"

He sat up and wiped his fingers on a napkin and reached in his pocket, fishing out a black velvet box. "There's just.. alot going on right now." His voice was shaky, like he was holding back tears. "Alot's changing for me and Ethan, and I never want you to feel like I'm putting you on the back burner."

He opened the box, revealing a gorgeous ring with a silver and gold band and diamonds in the shape of a heart.

"Grayson, I-"

"I'm not proposing, I know that's what you're thinking." A tear slid down his face. "But I need you to know how much you mean to me. Baby, I love you so much, okay? You're my everything. My whole universe. And even with everything we've been through, you've always been there for me. So this is my promise to you: I promise to be there for you, always. I promise to love you and cherish you forever. I haven't always been the perfect boyfriend to you, and that ends right now." He offered the ring to her with one hand and wiped his tears away with the other. "When you look at this ring—if you'll accept it— will remind you of my promise to never stop loving you."

A grin broke out on her face and she wrapped her chocolate arms around his neck. "Of course I'll accept it."

She pulled away and allowed him to put the ring on finger. "I love you so much." He kissed her hand.

She took his face in her hands and kissed his lips with passion and fervor. "I love you too, Gray." She panted.