Chapter 7: Closure

After Eto had confessed to you, even if not in the stereotypical way, you had started to feel more motivated. What little training you did with her seemed far less arduous.

Your current training mainly consisted of you trying to gain more control over you kakuja, as you went into a blind rage if it was activated involuntarily, caused by the repressed anger you still had locked in the back of your mind, all of it pent up over the span of the few days that it took for the CCG to kill both of your parents. But perhaps with Eto's support and care you could tap into the full potential of your kakuja properly, as a tool to avenge your parents, and protect Eto. You had made some progress with it, being able to activate it voluntarily, though it still resulted in you being consumed by your anger.

You had made two promises. Firstly, you wouldn't let yourself your anger consume you again, at least not completely. And second, you wouldn't give up and would keep going, to protect Eto.

Even though a feeling of impending despair nagged at the back of your mind. A fear of losing Eto. The possibility of losing her scared you, but you paid it little mind for now. At least you could still protect her.

Some days later, on a pleasant late Thursday evening, you were sitting at your usual spot at the couch, reading one of the books Eto had written, specifically the "Dropped Box". It happened to contain some familiar themes, such as the protagonist longing for their father. It was familiar to you, that longing for one's parents, which also reminded you of your yearning for those peaceful days before CCG. But thankfully, that feeling was nowhere close as gnawing as it used to be when you thought you were alone in this harsh world.

Not that there weren't hardships, but they seemed only momentary now that you could always look forward to Eto's loving kisses and warm hugs.

Your thoughts were quickly interrupted by the sound of a door opening. You looked over to the door and saw Eto who had returned from another session of signing books for his fans.

"How'd it go?" you asked her, "Smoothly, I presume?"

"Quite so, as usual." she said.

"Any plans for today?" you asked.

"Not at the moment." she replied. You gave a nod and went back to reading the book. While you didn't mind a bit of calm and some time for the two of you, it did slightly bother you that all training you had received for the last several days had been very easy. You did still want to bury that someone who had killed your parents under six feet of dirt, after all. And the feeling of no process annoyed you.

"Any idea on the whereabouts of any CCG agents that were involved with the murders of my mum and dad?" you continued, "You know me, I have a bone to pick with that agent who killed 'em and all that."

"Like I said, not at the moment." she replied, "Haven't gotten any clues on where to find them. And I can assure you, it isn't easy. Just finding that lady who you turned to minced meat took a bit of luck and time to find."

"Alright." you replied to her, putting your hands up in defeat, "If it ain't easy, it ain't. Didn't know."