Chapter 20 - Epilogue

Seven years have went past since CCG reformed and the organization V fell by the hand of a joint effort by CCG and Goat.

The birdcage was now a long-forgotten dream.

After Kichimura Washuu was discovered by CCG agents at the doorstep of their headquarters in the 1st ward, they denounced him from the title of Bureau Director for risking the lives of countless investigators, letting them die, and for ignoring the organization-wide ban on entering the 24th. In other words, he was responsible for their deaths and had also broken the rules, and he was now going to be punished for his clear disregard for protocol and human lives. 

After he was forcibly removed from his status as Bureau Director and was imprisoned in prison, CCG reformed itself internally and established itself new rules, which were to keep the people of Tokyo safe from ghoul threats, but they would no longer arrest or execute ghouls without a proper reason such as terrorism or murder. Not long after the reformation, they also made a declaration of non-aggression with the Horned King. This pact was sealed by the organization giving the Horned King the rights to execute Kichimura Washuu.

After the death of the final member of the Washuu bloodline, a secret organization known as V was soon discovered to have been working behind the scenes, manipulating the people of Tokyo to their own ends. The organization was taken down and all of its remaining operatives were executed on the spot. This process, beginning from the reformation of CCG to the fall of V, took only half a year. 

And after the full destruction of the twisted birdcage, three years of rapid societal changes came and went. During the early phases of this societal change, the Horned King disappeared from the public eye alongside his wife, the ghoul known as Eto Yoshimura. This happened around the same time when ghouls were given basic human rights. 

The 24th ward became abandoned after the people living there started moving back to the surface. The ward is now devoid of life, and acts only as a reminder of times past. The Rushima Landing Operation Memorial was moved from the confines of the ward to a graveyard on the surface. Every now and then a person would come carve a name into the memorial.

Unlike the birdcage, the legacies of the Horned King and the One-Eyed King remained. 

The One-Eyed King, Ken Kaneki, became a significant figure for his revolutionary movement called Goat, which spearheaded the efforts to create a world where both humans and ghouls could coexist that came to fruition over time. He was the one who guided the ghouls of Tokyo to a brighter future. His name was to be remembered for a very long time as the spiritual leader of all ghouls. His name would go down in history as the one who brought peace between humans and ghouls.

The Horned King, however, had become a controversial figure, who was both feared and respected. The results of provoking his ire that took place from the Cochlea Disaster to the 24th Ward Intrusion Incident showed the people of Tokyo the price the Washuu bloodline would one day have to pay for oppressing ghouls. His name was remembered by humans as a necessary evil that quelled the fighting with his vast power. 

After all of the changes to society, a new, peaceful world had been created thanks to the two kings.

Ghouls and humans now coexist in relative peace, with only occasional cases of anti-human or anti-ghoul activism perpetuated by those who could not properly embrace the changes. Ghouls gained a steady source of food after several scientists were able to perfect the creation of synthetic meat, which they achieved thanks to research on the function of Rc cells.