1

All that is gold does not glitter,Not all those who wonder are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost

Not all those who wonder are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.

A small smile appeared on Rosemary's face as she read over the beautiful words in her favorite book, The Fellowship of the Ring. She had read the book well over a dozen times now and could probably cite most of the book orally, but she still couldn't stop herself from reading it.

She was a dreamer after all and getting to imagine that she was in a place such as the Shire or the Mines of Moria made it hard for her to put the book down.

Besides, it was a good escape from what was happening around her. With the war going on and bad things happening on what seemed to be every corner, Rosemary needed an escape and her books did just that.

It wasn't like Rosemary was avoiding the war cause she wasn't. She knew what was happening and wasn't blind to the horrible events that were going on. But having all of that sadness and misery surrounding her was exactly why she needed an escape which is why she always looked to reading to help her and Rosemary loved reading. She always had.

Her grandfather, Digory Kirke, had been the one to give her her first book and Rosemary had instantly fallen in love with both the book and reading. From then on Rosemary started to grow her collection of books and whenever her grandfather and Mrs. Macready were looking for the young girl, they would find her with a book in her hand.

Reading was her favorite thing to do. When she wasn't being homeschooled or doing chores, Rosemary was reading. There weren't any kids near where Rosemary lived, so the only friends she had consisted of her grandfather, Mrs. Macready, and the characters in her books.

Reading was a big part of her life which was probably why her room was more of a library than an actual bedroom. She had books everywhere ranging from Nancy Drew to The Sword in the Stone to her personal favorite, The Lord of the Rings.

Rosemary loved getting to read about different worlds and she sometimes liked to come up with her own. It was something to help pass the time and help keep her from thinking about her parents who she knew almost nothing about.

Her grandfather didn't like to talk about her parents much, but what she got out of him was that her mother had died when she was born and that her father had given her up. Rosemary always felt like there was more to the story, but her grandfather would always get this far away look in his eyes and would make up an excuse as he left the room and headed to what she assumed was his study.