7

Rosemary sat staring at her hands as a million thoughts raced through her head

Rosemary sat staring at her hands as a million thoughts raced through her head. A gentle breeze hit her face, moving her hair slightly as she took in a deep breath and closed her eyes.

"Well this looks quite familiar."

Rosemary's eyes flickered open and she looked down from the tree she was sitting in to see Edmund standing down below with a smile on his face as he looked up at her. The brunette smiled softly, remembering the time when she had first met the Pevensies and had been sitting in a tree.

Her smile disappeared though and she let out a small sigh. "Did you need something?" She asked softly, trying not to sound rude. "No. I was just coming to check up on you," Edmund told her. "I'm fine," Rosemary replied.

Edmund raised an eyebrow. "Cause yelling at Peter the way you did and storming off towards the forest classifies as 'fine'," Edmund muttered. Rosemary rolled her eyes, but couldn't stop the small smile on her face. "Just shut up and come sit with me," she said.

Edmund smiled and began to climb up the tree before he had reached her. He then sat across from her on the branch and the two sat in silence before Edmund gently grabbed her hands.

She let him take her hands in his own and her eyes flickered up to meet his as he whispered, "Are you okay?"

Rosemary gulped and looked down at their intertwined hands. "All of those Narnians died tonight because they were following us," she muttered. Edmund sighed before kissing her hands gently. "I know, love. It was unexpected. We couldn't have done anything about it," he told her.

"We could've stayed back. We could've called it off," Rosemary argued. "Yes, we could've done that, but we didn't, did we?" Edmund asked. Rosemary went silent and gripped onto Edmund's hands. "I should've protected them," she whispered.

"Rosemary, you've got to stop blaming yourself for everything that happens. You're the protector, yes, but you can't protect everyone all the time. You did the best that you could and that's all anyone can ask of you," Edmund said.

Rosemary let out a sigh before leaning forward so that she could rest her head on Edmund's shoulder. He instantly leaned his head against her and the two sat there for a second before Rosemary pulled away and gently pressed her lips to the boy's cheek.

"Thanks, Eddie," she whispered. Edmund blushed and Rosemary leaned her head back against his shoulder while he wrapped his arms around to pull her in for a hug.

The two sat there just enjoying each other's company  for a while before Rosemary finally pulled away and said, "I want to have a memorial. . .for all the ones that we lost." Edmund smiled softly and took her hand in his once again. "That's a lovely idea, Rosemary," he told her.