6

Rosemary stared at the 'frozen' river before them

Rosemary stared at the 'frozen' river before them. "This is the frozen river we're supposed to cross?" She asked with wide eyes as she watched pieces of ice break away from the already small amount of ice that was left for them to walk across.

Peter and Rosemary glanced at each other before looking at Susan and Lucy. They already knew it was their responsibility to get the two girls across seeing as Peter was the oldest sibling and Rosemary was supposed to be the protector, but it was going to be really hard if their one walkway melted away.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter exclaimed. "Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked. "I'm not that fast, dear," Mr. Beaver told her. "Come on!" Peter said as he grabbed Lucy's hand.

Rosemary went to grab onto Susan, but the girl pulled away. "Wait! Will you think about this for a minute?" Susan asked. "We don't have a minute," Peter pointed out. "The longer we wait, the harder it is going to be to cross the river with all that melting ice," Rosemary told her.

"I'm just trying to be realistic," Susan argued. "No, you're trying to be smart. As usual," Peter retorted and Rosemary had to put a hand over her mouth to hide the small laugh that was about to escape her lips.

Peter rolled his eyes at his sister before beginning to make the climb down, bringing Lucy with him. Rosemary looked to Susan and gave her a small smile before taking her hand and bringing her along. 

They were just about to start their climb down when they heard the sound of howling from afar. Susan and Rosemary glanced at each other before picking up their speed. They were down by the side of the river with the others in no time and they all stopped to try and assess what was the best way to get across.

"Stay behind me," Rosemary told the Pevensies as she went to the front of the group. Peter went to object, but the fierce look on the girl's face was enough to keep him quiet. Rosemary looked at the ground before her and slowly brought a foot out only for the ice to sink slightly beneath her. She started to slip, but Peter was quick to grab her and pull her back, Lucy immediately wrapping her arms around the girl.

"Wait. Maybe I should go first," Mr. Beaver suggested. Rosemary bit her lip nervously as she looked to the ice before her. "Maybe you should," Peter muttered, not wanting anything to happen to his siblings or Rosemary because they weren't quite sure how to cross.

Mr. Beaver began his walk across the ice, patting his tail against the ground to make sure it was nice and steady. The ice broke a little in some places and Mrs. Beaver pointed at him. "You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" She called out. "Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last. Especially with your cooking," Mr. Beaver told her.