Chapter 5: After 9 years

I sat on a chair and stared at our principal. It was my graduation day and just now we got our certificates. 

"The next one it... Joshua Sun!" I got up from my seat after the principal called me by my English name. I went to the stage where he was standing and got my certificate. I thanked him and went back to my seat. 

My friend Wendy looked at me and smiled. She wasn't that talented in swimming, but she knew a lot about the different techniques. So she was more like my personal trainer. We spend a lot of time together. 

After the ceremony I got hugged by my mom and even by Wendy's parents. They congratulated me and patted my shoulders and so on. I got a bit annoyed by it, but I endured it. 

After the whole hugging and saying congrats, I went straight home and packed my stuff. I made a promise years ago and I wanted to keep it. 

The bad thing is, I don't remember who I promised, but I promised to come back to Korea as soon as possible. And I didn't forget that promise until today, so this person had to be important to me. I needed to find this person. I don't know why, I just had this feeling. 

I looked at my orca plushy and smiled. "This person has my dolphin. It has to be someone important..." I said while closing my suitcase. 

"And where are you going, Mr. Sun?" I heard and turned around. 

Wendy leaned against my doorframe and looked at me. 

"I'm going back to Korea, remember? I promised." 

She sighed and approached me. "You don't even remember who you promised to come back. Why is this so important to you?" 

I looked down. Why was it so important to me? 

"I don't know. I just have the feeling that it will affect my future." I told her and she nodded. 

"Well okay. Give me two hours." She said and turned around. 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"You didn't really think that you're going back to Korea all alone, did you?"

Wendy and I arrived at the airport in Seoul and we looked around. 

"It's been so long..." I said as we exited the airport. 

"Hey, Joshua... I probably should have asked before... But where are we going to live?" 

I stopped. Damn. 

"Uhh, weeeeeeell..." I started, but Wendy's heavy sigh interrupted me. 

"I should never let you do the organization again. Never." I just shrugged my shoulders and started walking. 

"Where are you going?" Wendy asked as she followed me. 

"To my old school. I need to find the person that I promised to come back. And since I can't remember, I need to start somewhere to remember." 

Fortunately I found the way to my old school fast. I looked around and the public pool next to the school caught my attention. I heard kids scream and water splash. I went to the fence and looked through it. 

I saw a bunch of kids swimming, playing or just fooling around. There was also a guy sitting at a bench, watching them. He seemed young, maybe in his early 20s. 

He looked around and as he spotted me, his eyes widened. He told the kids to get out of the water and to drink something. Then he walked over to where Wendy and I were standing. 

"Oh my, I can't believe you're back! Like, it has been ages, man!" He said and smiled at me from the other side of the fence. Wait a minute... those lips, the nose, his eyes... 

"Kai?! Is that you?" I asked and the man smiled brightly. 

"So you do remember me! It's nice to see you again, man! Come in!" He said excited and signalized us to enter the pools terrain. 

Wendy and I went to the entrance where Kai waited for us. 

"Who is she?" He asked and looked at Wendy. 

"That's Wendy. She's my friend from Australia. She basically was the same back then what you were. My only friend and trainer." I explained and he nodded. Then he noticed the suitcases. 

"You just arrived? Where are you gonna stay?" I looked at the ground. 

"Well..." 

"Say nothing. You two stay at my place." He said and Wendy looked at him shocked. 

"Really? T-Thank you so so much!" She said and bowed to him. He just chuckled. 

"I haven't seen my friend for years, so I want to help out. Come on, I'll just end the training and then we head home." 

Then he walked to the kids. So Kai is now the trainer for the elementary school's swimming club. Just like back then, when we were kids. 

Some memories started to come back, but it was still blurry.