Seashells

John Laurens was always that kind of person that has extreme curiosity and you know that it's gonna get him killed one day. John Laurens was the last mermaid left on the planet Earth. After his species has been almost entirely wiped out from pollution, trash, and over fishing, Laurens was the last one left to fend for his own. That is, until one day changed his life for good.

John was swimming one day, or lack there of since he had a giant hole in his tail from acid eating away at it when he was 5, when he stumbled upon a ship. Now, on this ship, there seemed to be a severe celebration going on....but it was among humans.

John climbed up the side of the deck when he saw /him/.

His deep, shoulder-length brownish-black hair flowed so effortlessly behind him. His face was so tired, yet you could see a bright fire of passion burning through his deep brown eyes. It was so easy to get lost in his mesmerizing gaze and his witty banter.

The young mermaid sat on the ledge of the deck, still crouched down enough so that the humans on the ship couldn't see him. So, he got a better view of the attractive male and some of the other men that were standing with him. One had a shoulder-length poof of hair and beautifully dark skin. He looked to be trying to start something with the man, who John found out was Alexander.

John sighed happily, a goof grin on his face, when he heard a loud crash from the distance and turned to face where the noise. John saw the darkest clouds ever seen by him. The darkness emitting from the clouds made John shift, hopping back into the dark waves of the ocean as the humans above him scrambled to save their precious ship.

John turned and started to head to the cave, for which he has called his home for a great while now, until he heard a giant splash and a bunch of bubbles covering a figure that had fallen into the sea.

Soon enough, the bubbles dispersed and revealed Alexander, his hair covering his eyes as it floated around his face like a halo.

John smiled lightly to himself as he quickly swam over to the figure and gathered him in his arms, breathing oxygen into his mouth as he swum to his cave. Mermaids were half fish, so they got their oxygen through their gills as they filtered oxygen through the water. Adaptations for the win.

John eventually made it to his cave and he swum up, bringing Alexander above water and gently laid him down on the rocks. Half of the cave was a pool of water that lead back to the sea, while the other half was dry and above ground.

John slowly raised himself out of the pool of water and onto the dry land as he struggled to find what to do. Was he living? Was he already dead? Oh no... He started to freak out a little as Alex jolted up and violently coughed out the watery contents from his lungs as he gripped his chest.

And then Alex looked up to see Laurens.

Yet, for the first time in all of his life, he couldn't find the words to say. So, he decided that keeping his mouth shut was as good a plan as any.

"Please, don't be scared Alexander. I saved you..." John started before he felt a warm embrace surrounding his deathly cold body. What was this feeling?

Laurens just lightly wrapped his hands around Alexander, returning the smaller boys embrace. And for the first time in a long-ass time...

Laurens felt alive.

A/N:

Wow would ya look at that, the first chapter!! I hope you all enjoyed this twist on an au where John is a lonely sea creature just wanting a taste of sweet, sweet love.

Feel free to comment and request more ideas for one-shots!! I would also enjoy hearing from you, so if you ever need someone to talk to, my inbox is always open and at your disposal!

Stay Gay my lovely children, and I'll talk to you all real soon!

-TGQ (700 words)