The Next Day

The next morning I take the bus. I don't see Daniel all day until I am walking towards the bus with Ali and Susan. I actually was getting a ride to the dojo with the others. Unfortunately. Oh well. Ali and the girls. Well we haven't talked since the party and we aren't talking now. They were also avoiding me. Talk about awkward.

Suddenly I feel at tap on my shoulder at the same time as Ali we both turn to see Daniel.

“Hi” Ali and I say at the same time then we glare at each other. Daniel either doesn't notice or doesn't pay attention.

“How ya doing” He asks us.

“What happened to your forehead?” Ali asks.

“Oh it's terrible. A gigantic runaway zit” Daniel says pointing at it a bit.

“Thats gross” Susan comments as Ali and I laugh.

“Daniel this is Susan” Ali introduces.

“Hi” He says to her.

“Charmed” she replies.

“What really happened?” I ask.

“I got in a bike accident but I'm okay” He says. The way he glances at me says otherwise.

“What kind of bike do you have Daniel? A Honda? Suzuki? What?” Susan asks

“uhh no it's like a Miyagi Turbo actually” He says and I laugh he playfully hits me as the girls laugh.

“Susan and I are going to the arcade. Want to come Daniel?” Ali asks and I huff and cross my arms. Daniel doesn't take notice.

“Sounds great. To me” he says.

“There's this new game I want to show you” Ali says smiling at him

“Well. Ali. When were you going to ask if I wanted to come?” I snap at her.

“Well. I would have but you normally turn us down.” Ali lies.

“That's because I have Karate. I loved to be asked and at least included and thought of anyway.” I state looking at Ali.

“I didn't know. I will remember that for next time.” Ali says and we stop for a second. I notice Daniel freeze and look forward. I notice my ride. He's focused on Johnny then he glances at us.

“I just remembered I forgot something. So I’ll catch up with you guys in a minute,” he says turning around.

“Daniel. You don't have to run away.” I say.

“I'm not running away from anything” He says.

“Hey look we got to deal with this!” Ali says noticing Johnny.

“You deal with it your way. I'll deal with mine okay I'll see ya. I got to go.” He says and walks away.

“Daniel!” Ali and I say at the same time.

“Get off my case!” He says and disappears around the corner. Ali turns to me and I shrug.

“Well he seems to be your boyfriend I thought you'd know” She comments jealously..

“He's not my boyfriend. Why do you hate me all of a sudden” I say as we stand near the bus and my ride.

“You lied to me. Then say you left. Then you ignore me. You're playing for him.” She says. Susan walks away and gets on the bus.

“I lied because I was scared. A girl in karate. Come on. And I ignored you. No no no. You were ignoring me. I tried talking to you but you just turned your head and left me.” I say. By now everyone has stopped moving and is listening to us.

“What about Daniel huh. What’s your relationship with him.” She asks.

“We are just friend nothing more yet. Why do you care so much.”

“Because I like him and I think he likes me to.” Ali says all proudly and I cross my arms.

“Sorry dear. Your second place. His eye is on me. I can tell.” I say adding some salt to my voice.

“See this is another problem with karate. You get an attitude.”

“I got the attitude from hanging out with you. So buzz off. You don't want to be late for your bus.” I say mockingly and walk away toward the Cobras.

They hold their hands up for high fives. I ignore them. Ali gets on the bus. Then everyone starts moving around again. Eventually we get to the dojo. We warm up then I head to work on my own out of the way. You can tell I am letting off steam from the argument. After a while Sensei walks over to me.

“Rough day Scar?” He asks watching as I don't stop.

“You have no Idea.” I say.

“Was it a boy?” He asks.

“No. It was Ali. I'm done with her rich snob group” I say stopping for a bit. That stop makes me realize how hard I'm working myself. I take in a deep breath.

“Don't over work yourself.” He says and walks away. He calls us all in for some practice matches. Johnny and I are last. I show no mercy this time and have him done in less than a minute. Normally our matches are five minutes. Then the day is over. As we pack up the group talks to me.

“Really bad day, Hey Scar?”Tommy comments.

“Guys leave her alone.” Bobby comments.

“Nah its cool. I'm chill now. Class helps,” I say.

“Can we get that round off high fives now then. You put Ali in her place.” Johnny says. Are they accepting me as a friend again?

“Ah whatever” I say and high five them all. Then we leave. I walk home and get there at the same time as Daniel.

“Hey Daniel.” I say following him up the steps.

“Hey Scarlet” He says quietly.

“What's on your mind?” I ask. He doesn't reply as he sees his fixed bike at the top of the steps. I smile. Then we sit at the top.

“Scarlet. I need advice. I like two girls and don't know who to play for. They both are wonderful. Plus I don't know how to ask whichever one I choose out.”

“First matter. Two girls. That's a disaster right there. Are they friends?” I ask.

“Not anymore I don't think” He says and I instantly get this feeling that he is talking about me and Ali.

“Then I guess it's not much of a disaster. Now you have to weigh the pros and cons of each. Then pick which girl you think would be best.” I explain to him.

“Thanks Scarlet. That helps. Then how do I make a move.”

“Pick a girl. Then ask me.” I say.

“Alright. So uh.. last night. What did you hear? I noticed you were at the fixers when I banged on the wall. That was a cute little squeak.” Daniel says. I blush and look down.

“Well. I heard all of it. Why don't you want me dragged in?” I ask him glancing over.

“Because you're the closest friend I have right now and I don't want to lose that.” Daniel says.

“I understand and as of after school. You're my closest friend I think,” I say softly

“Speaking of after school. The truth about my forehead," Daniel mumbles

“Johnny and them. I found out at Karate today. They were joking about how you took a fall so I asked and they told me everything. How do you like your bike?” I ask him smiling.

“You did this?” He asks turning to look at it.

“With Miyagi’s fixer knowledge and help. Yeah. Be sure to thank him too.” I say.

“Let's go do that right now.” Daniel says standing. He hold out his hand to me. I take it and stand up. We then walk to Miyagi’s.