🔽 Hangman 🔼

Words: 4 k

Published On: 07.06.18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this was actually supposed to be a separate story, but I am putting it up here instead. Some of you may even recognize the first few paragraphs because I'd published it once.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Language & Content Warning:

Due to the theme of the story, strong language has been used in places along with descriptions of violence, graphic or otherwise. Readers may apply discretion.

---------------------------------------------------------------

HANGMAN

He stood quietly by the window, looking out absently at the city that always seemed to be running a marathon; his sharp ears were trained at each and every sound that occurred in the background though. His eyes and ears never were in the same place anymore. No rest for the wicked, he thought to himself dryly.

The familiar tread of his partner's footsteps approached the door within which he confined himself on days when he wanted to particularly be left to his devices. The knob turned and the man stepped inside. He was surprisingly gentle for a man of their life and the only person who risked Sasuke's wrath for bothering him when he clearly wanted to be left alone.

He had never instigated it though.

"We have what we need, Sasuke," he quietly informed, already backing away to step out.

Sasuke acknowledged none of it, but his partner knew he'd been heard. He also knew better than to say any more. Besides, if their other partners' bickering wasn't broken up, he feared the Uchiha's anger would fall upon them soon and that couldn't be good for anyone.

He was normally more tolerant of those two, but some days his patience wore thin and one or both of them ended up on the mouth of a loaded gun. Sasuke never did anything though - except the one time he did shoot Suigetsu, narrowly missing his bone to cause any serious damage. Jugo knew it was on purpose. There was a side to that guy he didn't know if his partners saw that well.

It went without saying though, that if one were to get on his bad side, they had another thing coming.

Around this time every year, Sasuke became increasingly quiet and detached, preferring the solidarity of his room over even Jugo's silent company. While some were not well receptive to that, they let him be for the most part. Their two partners were locked in a stalemate as they usually were when they bickered, always at each other's throats, only slightly less so in Sasuke's presence.

At times like these, he wished he had a commanding air like their leader, to silence those idiots with a deadly glance. He settled for reason too though - not that anything Karin and Suigetsu would fight about could ever be reasonable. He sighed and took his usual role up lest they end up before a gun again.

"Quiet down or you'll have it from Sasuke," he warned them in his usual even tone.

"I'm not afraid of that bastard. He can't boss us around," an offended Suigetsu growled. Jugo wisely didn't mention how it was the man's own decision to follow him.