Chapter 8

You stand on the balcony of your room. It's the morning after the wedding. The golden light shines on the blooming trees and the people are still celebrating on the golden streets. They sing and dance, they wave white and golden ribbons. Sweet music has taken over the kingdom.

You hear Loki coming behind you. He wraps his arms around you and warms up your slightly shivering body. The spring winds are still chilly. He holds you close to his body, you can feel him breathe.

"Good morning, wife," he says as he bows closer to your ear.

"Good morning, husband," you laugh.

"You're up early," he kisses you lightly on the cheek.

"I guess I am," you stroke his bare arms, "I was just thinking, watching the people celebrate. They are so happy, peaceful."

"They adore you. They are celebrating your happiness and they get to eat as much as they can, not to mention the finest drinks that have aged for many hundreds of years deep within the mountains."

"Yes, but..." you look for words, "I gave an oath I don't know how to fulfill. I promised to protect Midgard and its people. I promised to make them part of the larger universe, but how? Humans kill each other just because someone else tells them to. There are so many Gods and they tend to deny all but their own. How can I tell them about the other worlds when they can't handle their own?"

"Little by little. You'll have thousands of years to do so," he tightens his grip, "And I will be by your side every step of the way."

You smile, but don't say anything.

"What? What's wrong?"

"Even if I have thousands of years, I can't do it from here, not from the comfort of a golden palace," you finally say, "When I left, the world was at war, again. A year has passed and I don't know what happened. I don't know if the war has ended or are they still battling. Who won? At what cost? It haunts me, not knowing and I feel guilty that I don't know after giving an oath of protecting my world," you pause, "What I'm saying is that I have to go back, I don't mean always, I mean periodically, I have to be there, live with the people I need to help."

"You want to leave?" Loki asks and you can't read his emotions.

"It's not a matter of whether or not I want to go back, I need to. I love it here, I love the people, I love the life I have here, but I'm afraid I would forget what it means to be human. I want to help my kind, but I can't do it from here."

"What about me?"

"I can't ask you to leave your home, your kingdom," you turn around, "I want to, but I can't."

"I wouldn't be leaving anything truly important behind," he says, "All I need is with you. Surely, if I'm to be king, I can't be away for long. I have obligations as prince and warrior, but I'll figure something, I'm not letting you go without me."

He's smiling a mischievous smile. He bows closer to kiss you.

"I'm never letting you go," he whispers through the kiss. You feel him taking the belt of your long black lace and silk dressing gown and gently pulling till the tie came loose.

"There is nothing in this universe you'll ever have to do alone again," you hear Loki say as his hands wander and his lips leave burning kisses on your neck.

***

You've been sitting in the bath for the best part of an hour, the door between the rooms is open and you watch Loki getting dressed. He is very precise and careful with every layer, every buckle and clasp. Every now and then he looks at you and gives you a smile.

As Loki's ready to leave he comes to you. You look up from the tub.

"I'll go join the festivities, I hope you'll join me soon," he takes your hand and bows down to place a kiss on the back of it.

"I will, no worries," you say and stand up from the water. Still dripping wet you step out of the tub. The man is till holding onto you, giving you support. Taking the towel that has been waiting for you, you wrap it around your body and give Loki a kiss.

"I'll be right with you, go ahead," you smile at him.

"Yes, my lady," he bows before leaving the room.

You walk up to the little dressing table by the golden mirror. You run your fingers over the marble tabletop. There lie different air brushes and decorated containers, some you know, some you don't. A rectangular dark wooden box with golden ornaments catches your eye and you can't help but open it. You see a straight razor on red satin. The metal has swirls of different grays on it and you reach out your hand towards it. You want to run your fingers over the blade itself to see if it is as smooth as it looks. You can barely touch the sharp edge of the razor when you have to pull your hand away as it has already cut you. You hold your injured hand in front of your face and see the straight bleeding line across your fingers, but the pain quickly fades. You take a closer look and see the blood disappearing back into the wound before it would close. Baffled by what you just saw you pick up the straight razor by its handle and carefully run it over the palm of your hand. It leaves a dark red line behind. You can barely lift up the blade when you see the injury already healing. Amazed, you put down the straight razor and take a step back from the table.

Almost running you go to the bedroom and dry yourself off and get dressed. You get ready as fast as you can. Wearing a beige dress with a golden armored corset embroidered with pearls and the golden cloak you were given at the wedding you walk out into the big hallway. You have to really hold yourself back so you wouldn't be running. Two guards escort you as you made your way into the great hall where people were still feasting and celebrating.

You spot Loki on the other side of the room and you walk up to him.

"Come with me," you say urgently.

"Why? Is something wrong?" he tries to read your expression.

You don't say anything, but take his hand and almost drag him with you. Passing the set table you take one of the knives without anyone noticing. You hide it in the silks of your dress. You reach the hallways again and the guards start to follow.

"No, stay here," you say almost commanding. You are impatient. Loki is a little surprised and very curious.

You get to a quiet branch of the hallway, you are alone. As you let go of the man's hand you take out the knife.

"Have I displeased you somehow?" Loki asks jokingly, but you don't answer. Instead you stretch out your arm and before he could stop you, you cut your forearm. You grit your teeth as the knife severs your skin, but the pain is quickly gone. Loki hits the knife out of your hand and grabs your injured arm.

"What are you doing?" he asks shocked and concerned. His eyes are fixed in yours.

"Look!" you nod towards the injury as it starts to grow back together. Loki's eyes widen and he runs his fingers across the healed skin.

"The Tablet, it deemed you worthy," Loki looks at you with amazement, "It gave you powers."

He strokes your arm again and his face turns back to concern.

"But please, next time just tell me, don't try to cut your hand off," his smile is almost sorrowful and you wrap your arms around him.