Chapter 16

"Thanks to the Tesseract the Bifrost has been restored," you hear Odin's voice.

You are sitting in the massive library looking for books to send to Loki. You have a number of them in your arms and you turn around to look at the All-Father.

"I know," you simply say without bothering yourself with courtesies.

"Thor and the Asgardian army will be sent to clean up the mess that was created during our absence and once the Nine realms are at peace again, Thor will become king.

"Why are you telling me that?" you ask coldly, "Are you telling me that I have to leave Asgard?"

"No, on the contrary, I think your presence is greatly needed. You are adored by the people of Asgard. They look up to you, the admire, even adore you."

"What's your point?" you cut him off.

"The other realms don't know you this way, for them you are only known as the guardian of Midgard and Loki's wife. They don't know you and the stories of Loki's deeds will soon have spread all over the Universe, the stories of how your husband murdered innocent people on Midgard, on the realm you swore to protect."

"And what do you think I should do?" you decide to ask.

"I offer you a new start, a new life if you will. I offer to annul your marriage to Loki as your sign of disapproving of his actions and you will marry Thor once the Nine realms are at peace," he says calmly.

""Cursed be those who would seek to tear them asunder," remember?" you echo your vows again, "Just because you refuse to look the truth in the eyes, doesn't mean I do the same," you walk closer, "I know who is to blame for his actions, I know whose fault it is even if I'm the only one in the Galaxy who sees it that way. I will not let you sell me off again just so you could wash off the blood from your hands, just so you could create the illusion of order. I will always be loyal to Loki, even if I stand alone."

"Then you too will be known as a traitor of the realm," he says still as calm as before.

"So be it," you clench your teeth and walk past him and leave the library, you know Odin won't take it this easily so you decide to look for someone to have your back. You leave the books at your room and go to a door you have never knocked on before.

You don't get an answer so you slowly push open the heavy door. You don't see anyone at first so you walk in. You see Mjölnir on a tabletop so you know Thor will be back soon. You walk up to the hammer and look at the engravings in the strange metal. You know about the spell put on it so you gently wrap your fingers around it and prepare to try and lift it, but at the last moment you decide that you don't want to know if you are worthy or not so you let go again and step away. You look at the big balcony of the room and walk up to it to see the view. It is then that you hear someone enter.

"Lady Y/n?" you hear Thor's surprised voice and he comes up to you.

"Are you preparing to go off to war?" you ask.

"The realms need our help, Asgard swore to protect them, we have already failed at that, but bringing back peace is the least we can do," he says, you realize how much he has changed since you first met.

"Have you gone back to Earth yet? To Jane?" you ask.

"No, I don't think Midgard wants any more gods to grace them with their presence," he sighs.

"Do you know about your fathers plan?"

"What do you mean?"

"He came to me today, he told me that after peace is restored, you will be king. He threatened me that I too will carry the name of traitor unless I annul my marriage to Loki as a sign of condemning his actions on Earth," you explain.

"Traitor? You are loved by everybody, sister, but Loki's actions were despicable, you know that," he says.

"That's not all," you warn him before continuing, "He want's us to marry because of the relationship I have with those people," you look down at the shimmering city, "And he can't afford to lose Midgard, I am the only connection and I doubt he would be too happy to make Jane the next guardian, I don't think he is too fond of out kind."

"Marry you?" he says and the words hit him, "I can't marry you, you're my sister..."

"I know..." you nod, "And I would never leave Loki's side no matter what he did. You may have lost all hope in him, but it is my duty as his wife to stand with him."

"I understand," he nods, "So what are you going to do?"

"I don't think there is much I can do," you look away, "It is as you said, Midgard doesn't need any more gods then it already has, but I did give an oath to protect them. I too broke that vow, but it is my job to do my best to correct their path and to do everything I can to fix the mess Loki created. I'm going back to Midgard."

"What about Loki?"

"There is nothing I can do for him here."

"I understand, little sister," Thor takes you into his big bear hug.

***

As the illusion of Loki appears in front of you you smile, but he doesn't answer with the same, his expression is restrained, careful not to give away what is going on inside his head, it has been like this after your very first visit. Quickly your smile fades away too as you remember why you visit him this time.

"Loki," you say looking for a way to start.

He doesn't answer.

"Loki I'm here to tell you..." you take a breath in, "I'm going back to Midgard, I'm leaving Asgard for good this time. I wish you could come with me, but... we both know you can't. I have to bring back order on Earth, I must do my duty and it breaks me to leave you here, but I'm out of choices. Odin has plans of his own, but I refuse to play by his rules so I must go as there is no place for me here."

"So you'll want this back," you takes the necklace from under his shirt, but you slowly shake your head.

"My heart... my life belongs to you, so keep if safe for me," you give him a sad smile.

"I will," he finally promises to you and hides the pendant away again.

"Goodbye, Loki," you whisper, "I will forever love you."

As you lean forward and touch your lips against his, but then the figure disappears and you are left with only a sickening feeling inside.