Chapter 10

"He will come," Thor says, "Loki is a good warrior, nothing bad has happened, I'm sure he is just out to clear his head."

You pace back and forth in the golden room, nervous and almost scared.

"Something's happening, I can feel it!" you feel your throat tighten, "He hasn't been himself lately. He hasn't been himself for years."

"I don't know what you mean," Thor looks genuinely confused.

"How can you be so arrogant and blind?" you look at him with surprise, "He is your brother! How can you not see? After you were announced as the heir he never was the same and time has only made it worse. And now that your coronation is just a fortnight away... he wants to be happy for you, I know he does, but that doesn't change the fact that he was lied to."

"He's just envious, he should have known, I am older," Thor's expression hasn't changed.

"This isn't envy," you sigh, "This is disappointment. He is still hurt. Whether you are older on not, it doesn't matter. From your early childhood, you both were raised to be kings, the throne was promised to both of you. You were equals. After our engagement was announced he took it as conformation that he will be heir, that I was to be his queen."

"To be fair, sister, I thought so too," the man looks onto the kingdom from the window.

"And now you are treated as king while he is just a prince, nothing compared to you. I'm afraid for him," you start pacing again, "I'm afraid he will do something foolish."

You don't tell Thor what Loki thinks, you wouldn't betray either of them this way. Thor has to be able to trust his brother and you can't reveal something Loki had told you in private as a sign of his trust. And after all, Thor is to be king, you can't tell him something like this even if he sees you as a sister.

"Thor, we must do something," you feel lightheaded, "No one has seen him since morning. He looked... determined. I asked him, but he brushed it off like it was nothing. He disappeared after that, I thought he was with you or training, but after I didn't see him at dinner... Something's wrong!"

You hear the heavy door open behind you and you turn around and see Loki coming towards you.

"My love," he smiles at you and nods at Thor, "Brother."

You run to him an almost throw yourself at him, but you feel him keeping something of a distance and you release him and take a step back.

"Where were you? What's wrong?" you ask him, concerned.

"Nothing, love, I'm fine, everything is fine," he kissed you on your forehead, "I just felt like clearing my head, being alone, there's nothing to worry about, I didn't want to bother you."

"See, Y/n? Told you everything is all right!" Thor laughs and walks past the two of you. He playfully slaps Loki on his shoulder and leaves through the door.

You wait and listen for Thor's footsteps to fade in the distance before looking Loki in the eyes.

"Why did you lie to me?" you ask him with a hint of anger, but mostly concern. He has never lied to you before, not that you know at least.

"I would never lie to you, love. Lies are the poison of life," he echoes your words and you almost believe him as he puts an arm around you.

***

You stand behind the heavy door, your hand raised to announce your coming, but you freeze. You need advice, you need to talk, but is it right? There is only one person who could possibly help you, who you could burden with your problems, but you're not sure if she exists anymore. You decide to live on with your worries. You turn around, but just as you're about to leave, the door opens behind you.