Chapter 12

"I saw something or... felt?" you hear Loki speak after a long and heavy silence, "When we were in Jotunheim."

"What?" you turned in bed to face him and took his hand.

"Something... strange," he stokes the back of your hand and avoids your gaze, "When the frost giants come in contact with your skin... it burns you. It leaves marks like fire does. Volstagg still carries a mark of it, but... When they grabbed me... I felt no pain. I felt cold, but nothing else... except... My skin... it turned blue... the shade of the frost giants."

You look at his face that was filled with sorrow and confusion.

"What are you saying?" you ask him, you know he has come to some sort of conclusion in his head.

"That there is something Odin and Frigga haven't told me, but what? Maybe I'm cursed... that would explain quite a lot," his voice fades into the silence of the night.

"Ask them," you offer, "You have a right to know."

"Ask them? Their word doesn't mean much to me anymore. And after what Odin did to Thor? I don't think I'm in a position to ask questions," he puts his arm around you and pulls you closer, "No, I have to see it for myself."

He places a kiss on top of your head.

"You're the most beautiful creature in all the Nine Realms that I've ever laid my eyes upon. I don't deserve you," he whispers before letting go and getting out of bed.

"What is this about? Where are you going?" you sit up.

"In Odin's vault... the Jotuns' Casket is there, maybe it can give me answers," he says as he gets hastily dressed.

"In the middle of the night?" you wonder.

"I've waited long enough."

You get out of bed and look after him as he walks out of the heavy door. You feel worried, knowing that Loki has been on the edge for a long time, you fear he won't like the answer that he might find.

***

Hours have gone by and Loki is still gone. Soon enough the first rays of dawn will paint the dark sky, but you are still alone in the enormous room. Deciding you can't wait any longer you get dressed and leave to look for your husband.

Reaching the throne hall you see guards, that wouldn't be unusual, but there are about twice as many. You walk up to one of them.

"What is this? Has something happened?" you as the guard.

"It is the king, my lady, he has fallen into the Odinsleep," the man answers.

You had heard of this, but had never been a witness to it. You knew you could find them all in Odin's chambers so you make your way there. The king lies under a golden shimmering dome. You see Frigga and Loki sit by Odin's bedside. It's strange not to see Thor by his father's side and you go closer.

"How is he?" you silently ask.

"He is in a very deep sleep. It has been so long since he last was in the Odinsleep," Frigga sighs.

You see and feel Frigga's sorrow, but she keeps her head high and proud, she wouldn't show any sign of weakness now.

You walk closer till you stand right by her. You hesitate for a moment before placing your hand gently on her shoulder as to soothe her the way she did for you when you were a child.

"Maybe I can wake him up? Maybe I can heal him," you reach your other hand towards Odin, but Frigga takes it before you can touch him.

"No, my dear, he needs to rest to get his strength and power back however long it may take, but thank you," she says and places your hand on her lap. You sit beside her and wrap your arm around her. You wish you could do more. You look across and see Loki. His mind is miles away and you wish you could ask him.

So you just sit there, nobody says a word. You have closed your eyes, drifting somewhere between sleep and reality.

"I asked him to be honest with you from the beginning," you hear Frigga silently say probably thinking that you're asleep, "There should be no secrets in a family."

"So why did he lie?" Loki asks.

"He kept the truth from you so you would never feel different. you are our son, Loki, and we your family. You must know that. You can speak to him. He can see and hear us even now."

You are confused by Frigga's words, but decide not to interfere.

"How long will it last?" the man wonders.

"I don't know. This time it's different. We were unprepared."

"I will never get used to seeing him like this. The most powerful being in the Nine Realms lying helpless until his body is restored."

"He has put it off for so long now that I fear..." Frigga doesn't finish, "You're a good son, we mustn't lose hope that your father will return to us... and your brother."

"What hope is there for Thor?"

"There's always a purpose for everything your father does. Thor may yet find a way home."

You hear Loki stand up and start to walk away before the big doors of the chamber are loudly opened. You sit up and look at guards in shimmering armor bow and an old man in golden robes carrying Gungnir come closer and stop in front of Loki to kneel and offer him the spear. Loki turns around to face Frigga with doubt on his face.

"Thor is banished. The line of succession falls to you. Until Odin awakens... Asgard is yours," Frigga says without a shadow of a doubt.

Loki, still hesitant, turns back and takes the weapon and you stand up.

"Make your father proud."

Loki slowly faces the two of you again holding the spear with both hands.

"My king," Frigga nods respectfully.

You walk closer, struck by what just had happened. You courtesy and bow your head as a sign of your respect.

"My king," you say.

"My love," Loki says and and lifts you chin, "Never bow to me."