Chapter Twenty-Nine

"It's going to be fine... It's going to be fine..."

"Aoi?" I nearly squawked when Kaname called out to me, snapping me from the mantra I was busy trying to chant.

I was trying to spy on Tsumugu when Kaname caught me, my suspicious actions obviously gaining his attention. I was hoping I could get the chance to catch Tsumugu by himself and muster the courage to reply to his feelings but it seemed as though fate prevented me from doing so.

I guess it couldn't be helped, seeing as he was the representative for the land dwellers in the upcoming meeting for the Ofunehiki this afternoon. It's obvious that both he and Hikari had a big plate to fill and it made me realize how wrong it would be to stress him further with my response.

But if I didn't let it out now... Then I'd lose every chance to do so. I would end up chickening out every chance I suddenly got and that would only be even more awful for Tsumugu if I led him on like that.

"Aoi, you're spacing out again." I flinched at Kaname's voice, his hand waving in front of my face to gain my attention. I could feel myself turning red from embarrassment, knowing that I had spaced out in front of Kaname of all people.

"I'm sorry..."

"Is it Tsumugu?" He couldn't help but ask, my eyes quickly glancing at him before looking elsewhere, my fingers tucking my hair behind my ear just to control them from shaking due to nervousness.

"Well... Yes, I was planning to speak to him about- umm... I'm sure you already know?" I mentally face-palmed myself at the stuttered reply, my cheeks still burning red.

"Are you going to reject him?"

"I-I am..."

"Why?" I paused to reply to that question, wondering why he wanted to know the reason. Somehow, his question didn't sit well with me. Almost like he's disappointed that I would be rejecting Tsumugu. I know that chances of him liking me back are low but still-

To hear that tone as if he was scolding me for making a wrong decision? I could only feel the bitterness churning in my stomach.

"Because it's obvious, isn't it? I don't like him at all!" I ended up nearly shouting. Fortunately, no one I knew was around to see it- probably all of them had already gone to the workshop to ready the Ojoshi-sama.

Kaname seemed taken aback by my outburst, which I couldn't blame him seeing as I never really shouted at him before. I had always been careful about what I said and did around him- my feelings getting in the way of forming a decent bond with him.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, my eyes downcast upon realizing how petty I had been by yelling at him. "It's eating up at me lately and-,"

I don't elaborate further, shaking my head just to dispel the memory. "Nevermind. We should go and meet up with the others..."

I leave it at that, walking away with heavy bitterness in my heart...

--*--

The meeting- was a complete disaster.

The heavy atmosphere inside the wrecked meeting room was proof enough. The brokenness in Hikari's eyes speaking volumes for all of us. The Ojoshi-sama we worked so hard to make was in shambles, the adults barely caring about their own mistakes as they stormed out of the room.

My blood boiled at the sight we were subjected to, the irony of the adults' immaturity laid bare before us. Hikari could barely look at us as he sped out, the rumble of thunder in sync with our gloomy expressions.