Chapter Thirty-Two

"It's 640 yen," Tsumugu spoke up behind Hikari while he paid for our tickets.

It surprised me that we all still met up even after parting ways to go on our own ventures. But then again, we were all going to the main city so it shouldn't have been a surprise...

"Tsumugu? Wait- Aoi?" Hikari eyed me suspiciously, his actions proof that he probably didn't know that I was out on a date with Tsumugu.

"So that's what the boys who act cool wear these days," I joked lightly, hoping to veer the topic off on having to explain to him why we were together.

Hikari bit the bait quite easily, his cheeks turning red from embarrassment when I pointed out his ridiculous outfit. "I'm not acting cool! I didn't bring enough clothes with me when I left so- why am I even explaining this to you?!" He accused before panicking when the final ring of the train station's bell echoed.

"Ah hurry up, Hii-kun!" Manaka's voice could be heard from the railings.

"If we miss this train then we'll end up waiting for another hour, Hikari."

"Shut up, Kaname! Don't just stand there, help me out here!"

I couldn't help but laugh at the banter between the two of them. Whether it was out of relief, I didn't know. After all, this was our silent agreement. Even though Tsumugu knew the answer- to still let him have this chance even if it will be the last...

Why is it that the world is such an unfair place for those who deserve happiness?

--*--

"Eh, so that's how it it." I nodded when Hikari explained to me the reason for their trip to the city.

It also explained the reason for the cold maelstrom I saw the other day. It's amazing how strong they were to survive that. Both he and Akari-san had overcome such an experience with their sights on the future still unwavering. Is that why father could easily do the same? Because he knew that that was where he needed to go?

To leave behind their father... Did Hikari or Akari-san feel any guilt in doing it? The situation isn't as similar and I couldn't use it to understand my father's departure any better either.

"So why are you both here anyways? You're even dressed up, Aoi. It's like you're both going on a-," Hikari stopped his words when the realization dawned on him, the atmosphere growing awkward when everyone realized what he had meant to say.

'Like going on a date.'

"We're going to the city to hang out. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that?" Tsumugu swooped in, surprising us both at his choice of words.

It confused me. One moment, he was adamant to sway me and then the next he's outright lying to Hikari of the true motive of this outing. Why? Just when I was so sure that I finally understood him, he once again finds a way to elude me from seeing through his motives.

"Then you won't mind if you both came along with us, right?" Hikari wasn't one to lose when he suggested that we could come along. For someone who's always spontaneous with his actions, Hikari could be shrewd when he felt like it.

But, unfortunately for Hikari, Tsumugu wasn't one to step down either. "Sure. I don't mind, right, Aoi?"

"Eh? Um... Sure. Let's all hangout!" I smiled rather quickly in agreement when Tsumugu suddenly asked for my approval. Hikari still didn't look convinced but he didn't pry anymore either. Keeping a close eye on us, is he worried about what Manaka thought of all of this?

She didn't look bothered in the least. Well, concerning Tsumugu but about me-

She definitely looks like she wants to have a word with me. It must be confusing her, especially since we just discussed this a few days ago. I did tell her that I would try to tell Tsumugu my answer so she obviously didn't expect me to suddenly be going out on a date with him all of a sudden. In fact, only Chisaki and Kaname knew of this earlier so they weren't as surprised as Hikari and Manaka.