8: Nightfall

When the bedroom door cracks open again, I'm laying on the soft bed with my eyes closed, listening to the chirp of reptilian animals outside the window. It must be nearly nightfall for those creatures to be out socializing.

In a strange way, it reminds me of home. When we all bedded down for the night I went to my own bedchamber - the one nearest to the forest - and listened to the woodland creatures until I slipped into slumber.

It was one of the few things about my home I actually enjoyed; when the villagers were asleep and my father and Meben were at rest, the world almost seemed peaceful.

Perhaps it was peaceful. Even the annoyances and dramas of my village aren't as bad as the starvation, kidnapping, and slavery out in the rest of the world.

The woods felt safe. I just...didn't realize that before. I took it for granted.

I'm so engrossed in the sounds of nature, I barely notice the bedroom door creaking fully open. Master Synn steps inside, carrying another ornate platter topped with food.

He clears his throat, startling me to sit up in the bed. I can barely look him in the eye after hearing the ruckus outside earlier, but I do my best to nod my head in a bow and smile.

I think of my escape plan: Be nice and well behaved. Be trustable. Be good enough to get the outside barrier taken down and get out of here.

Master Synn sets the platter on the dresser and removes my half-eaten meal from earlier.

"Was it not edible?" He gestures to the half-eaten meal.

"N-no, Master Synn. It was perfectly edible! I just...didn't feel too hungry, is all." I wonder if he's mad, but his face is so expressionless that I really have no idea.

Was the food expensive? Did he actually go through the whole process of making it for me? Am I already failing at being a good servant girl?

Moments pass. Master Synn says nothing and it looks as if he has plans to continue staying quiet. He inches back toward the door and I quickly make a choked noise in an attempt to stop him.

I feel nervous again about being left alone but - even more than that - I want to take my first step toward being good enough to him to earn my freedom.

"U-um, Master Synn..." I curtsy again, putting on my best pouting expression. "May I please make a meal for you sometime? Or perhaps even start cooking for myself? I imagine it's rather bothersome for you to bring me food so often!"

I pray that my questions aren't overstepping the boundaries of being a servant. Master Synn's gaze slips past me as if he's actually considering what I've said. A glimmer of hope rises in my chest.

"No." His voice is as flat as his expression; his lips turn down and his angled eyes narrow. Why doesn't he want me to make meals for myself, or for him? Is me venturing beyond this room truly so horrible? I just want a bit of freedom...but it looks like even asking for that has irritated him.

"Fine, sorry..." I settle back onto the bed, ignoring the plate of food he set out and ignoring him, even as he stands across the room looking down upon me. 

After forbidding me from doing literally anything at all, he deserves to be ignored. Regardless of if he's handsome or not and regardless of if he chose to put me in this servant situation or not, I hate that he won't let me do anything. I hate him.

He stays in the room for much longer than I expect, standing in place and staring at me wordlessly. His expression softens, then tenses, then repeats. Eventually, he shakes his head and decides he wants to leave his jaw tense, shoulders straight, and brow furrowed.

"Eat your food." His tone is the most aggravated I've ever heard from him, apart from when I was eavesdropping. He storms out of the room, slamming the bedroom door as he exits.

I'm already not doing a good job of getting onto his sweet side.

I roll onto my back and grab the soft blankets, shoving my face into them.

I've never dealt with a man besides my father, really (Meben barely spared me a few words here and there), but dealing with men must be a pain no matter who they are!

I have no idea how to make this Draconian man happy enough to give me any freedoms, let alone how to understand him! Why is he even keeping me here if he cares so little about me? Is this how all slaves are treated? Is this how Fexen is treating the younger girls right now?

I shiver as the last thought crosses my brain. No, I'm sure Fexen is treating the other girls much worse. What kind of grown man would buy a bunch of young girls, dress them in maid outfits, and keep them in his estate and actually treat them well?

I worry about Lyda. Has she been forced to do...things with Fexen already? Has she been physically hurt? How is she even surviving after being forced to leave the boy she loves in a cell to die? I can't imagine how horrible life must feel for her right now, and I try to remind myself to feel grateful for what I do have.

I have a nice private room that is comfortable. Master Synn has never hurt me, threatened me, or made me do...things with him. I'm well fed.

I glance at the platter he brought for me and reluctantly get out of bed, grabbing it and bringing it back into the comfort of my blankets.

This time the platter holds a bowl of warm clear bone broth, packed with herbs and roots and seasoned with flakes of spice. I bring a scoop to my mouth and blow on it, wondering again how and why Master Synn is making these nice meals for me if he detests me so much.

The broth blooms warmth into my mouth that feels as if it spreads all the way into my chest, wrapping me in a hug like the gentle heat from the midday sun.

I want to appreciate the finery I'm living in and the excellent food Master Synn brings me, but I struggle to feel comfortable. I don't know why he's taking care of me, why I'm here, or what he expects me to do in return.

The last part worries me the most.