16: Information

The power of Master Synn's magick forcing the room to tremble astounds me.

If only I'd been born with magick...could I have had control over the direction of my life this whole time? Could I protect myself and force my own path in the world? Could I force the paths of others, too?

Master Synn is so lucky, having so much control at the grasp of his fingertips.

He flicks his hand in the direction of the door and exits the room. I follow and hear bones cracking behind me. I assume that must be Master Synn's magick repairing the man's legs.

Master Synn shuts the door behind us and turns toward me, running his fingers through his hair and glaring at the ceiling.

"Was that man hired to kill you?" I can't help asking. Master Synn remains quiet.

"No, he wasn't. He was paid to get information. He knows he can't kill me, and I doubt he would have accepted the job if he thought that was his goal." Master Synn glances toward me and grimaces. "But he had no issues with killing or...abusing you."

"You're precious to me and I nearly failed you. I hadn't expected someone to get through the barrier, but I'm keeping a closer eye on you from now on." He walks down the hall and turns around, gesturing for me to follow. "Come with me."

"Are you keeping him locked up? Is that safe?" We reach my bedroom and he points to my coloring book, pillow, and clothing. I scurry to grab it and he walks back out of the room and through the house. I jog behind, attempting to stay on his heels.

"He's not getting out of that cage." Master Synn stops in front of a set of double doors and opens them. He gestures for me to step inside and I gasp.

The room is a deep maroon with black and gold accents. A massive plush bed with black bedding sits at the rear of the room with draping curtains above. An aquarium sinks into the side wall filled with red crystalline tank decorations and glowing fish I've never seen before. A golden rug embossed with an onyx black dragon covers the floor in front of the bed and a red crystal chandelier coats the entire room in a fiery glow.

"Make yourself comfortable." Master Synn releases a deep breath of air. I look around for where to put my pillow and he gestures to the bed. "Lay down. Relax. Color. It's your room now, too."

"Is this...your bedroom?" My heart flutters and I gaze wide-eyed around the room. I follow his gesture, walk across the room, and let my body sink into his soft bed. It's as soft as the grasses beside my favorite forest pond.

"Ours." Master Synn corrects me. "This is our bedroom."

My breath catches in my throat. Surely that doesn't mean he expects...?

Master Synn takes a seat on the bed a few feet away from me and grabs a book from a nearby bookshelf. This close, I can smell his scent, like fire roasted cinnamon. This place seems surreal. It feels so far from the forest and my tribe within it, yet...familiar in a comforting way. Is this the same life? Is it the same world? Am I even the same person?